• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine front sight removal

Has anyone done this? Is it as simple as just knocking the pin out and sliding the thing off?

That's the procedure ok, just watch for the 'key' when it comes off. Drive the pin from left to right (as you look down the sights when you shoot it)

The rest of the story is that although that is the procedure, it may turn out to be VERY difficult to do as they do not always want to come off easy. Use a brass hammer or use a piece of hard wood up against the sight and hit that so you don't damage the sight.

Soak it first with some WD40 or Kroil or somesuch stuff and it might go easier.

I'm not worried about damaging the sight. It's a bubbafied front sight that had the ears cut off. I'm going to put a new one on.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try soon.

Got the sight off after a lot of work... Fitting the new one on was OK, but I can't get the pin back in because the sight key is in the way. It partially blocks the hole. How do I get around this?

I should have mentioned....

before you try to put the sight back on, run some 0000 steel wool around the barrel when the sight will end up and run some around inside the sight. This will make the sight slide on lots easier...and you can get it off/on again if you need to.

The problem you have now requires a 1/8 inch or smaller punch to be placed on the end of the key..you should be able to see the end of the key under the sight . Tap it lightly in the direction you want to move the key. If you don't have a punch, try a 6d or smaller nail, it should work.

Last edited:
I need to move the key up, relative to the barrel, towards the sight blade. In a muzzle to breech direction it is in the right place, but not in how its elevated.

There's actually a groove in the barrel where the key sits and fits in perfectly except for this final problem.

Two suggestions.

a) Try turning the whole assembly upside down and tap with a light rubber or plastic mallet. If the key moves "up" (down, with inverted assembly), insert a drift pin. A full-sized pin my not fit (key didn't move all the way), so start with a smaller one and work the key "up." End up with a full-sized drift pin and leave it in place. Now, start the actual pin (from the correct side), using it to force the drift pin out.

b) Consider a small dab of grease to hold the key more or less where it will show at least some daylight through the pin hole. Then follow above suggetions.

Back
Top Bottom