• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Sights for USPSA/IDPA

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
Gonna start doing some comps this year. Could someone suggest some sights to look at to use on my 5" M&P? Currently using stock iron sights but looking for something better that I can find quicker. Thanks!

I use the stock rear with a fiber front, works great .

ETA, tru-glo was what I went with and have been very happy.

Last edited:
I use the stock rear with a fiber front, works great .
Thanks...Any particular brand?

I had fiber optic on a previous gun and really liked it but wasn't sure if for comp use there was something else I should look at.

I run Dawson in the front and either an all black Novak or Waren tactical in the rear on three out of four of my M&Ps the other one is set up with tritium and only comes out to play if I know there is going to be a low light stage.

I run Dawson in the front and either an all black Novak or Waren tactical in the rear on three out of four of my M&Ps the other one is set up with tritium and only comes out to play if I know there is going to be a low light stage.
Are Dawson's easily adjusted for elevation and windage?

I'll second Dawson Precision sights. Take careful measurements of your existing sights to be sure to order the correct height new sights.

I prefer a plain black square notch rear, and a .100 wide front with fiber insert

I'm gonna go with the Fiber Optic Dawson Comp sights. Can someone tell me advantages/disadvantages of rear fiber optic sights vs black rear sight?

im researching and cannot find much info either way.

I'm gonna go with the Fiber Optic Dawson Comp sights. Can someone tell me advantages/disadvantages of rear fiber optic sights vs black rear sight?

im researching and cannot find much info either way.

The fiber optics on the rear makes the sight picture too "busy". You want to focus on the front sight, not try to pick out which dot is which.

I have a Burwell rear and a Dawson fiber front. I forget why I went with the Burwell rear over the Dawson.

FWIW, SJan and Supermoto are Master/Grandmaster level iron sight shooters, and DanS has been shooting USPSA almost as long as I've been alive, so they know what they're talking about.

I put Dawson's on all my guns. The machining is excellent. The POA/POI has been spot on at 25 every single pair I install.

Dawson sights on all my M&Ps and Glocks. Dawson also has their "Perfect Impact Policy". buy their recommended sight pair and if you gun does not zero to where you want, they will send you a new sized front sight.

I had a smith add a Dawson to a 1911. Loved the sight till about a year later it flew off to parts unknown. Now I see the web site says "Don't forget the Loctite".

I had a smith add a Dawson to a 1911. Loved the sight till about a year later it flew off to parts unknown. Now I see the web site says "Don't forget the Loctite".

Find another gun plumber then, one that actually shoots action games, not just reads about them. [wink]

I wanted the U-notch so I went with 10-8 performance set. I now have them on the M&P 9mm full-size and 9mm shield and soon to be on the 9c. They are excellent and excellent machining/finish.

I'll second Dawson Precision sights. Take careful measurements of your existing sights to be sure to order the correct height new sights.

I prefer a plain black square notch rear, and a .100 wide front with fiber insert

I ordered a 0.100" Dawson fiber optic front sight for my DW PM9. I've come to the realization (little late after 2 years) that the factory front sight width (0.125") along with a 1.5mm/0.060" fiber optic rod, isn't the best option for IDPA/USPSA. The factory rear sight has a 0.120" notch which should work well with the 0.100" front.

I'm struggling with the longer shots as the front sight will cover all of the A zone or down 0 zone on the targets.

Back
Top Bottom