M&p shield performance center

Since most of you are probably in and out of gun shops more then me, i am curious of the availability of the m&p shield performance center.

A friend of mine told me i might be better off just getting a shield and adding sights to it. He indicated that availability and price is not worth the headache of finding one.

Also any person experience/opinions with the performance center are appreciated.

availability is slim, I've been looking for about a month..but it is much more than just the sights..check the above video link..if you can find one ...grab it

It's 100 more on my end but personally if u look at a regular shield vs the PC the PC shield seems to have more muzzle flip , I wasn't the only one who thought this. And with dirty ammo it send more smoke up straight . Check on some slo mo vids on YouTube , I passed on it as I like my Free state shield.

The only upside to a PC shield would be the trigger. The sights suck and porting is dumb (based on the 200 rounds I have through one)

Why have firberoptic sights on a defensive pistol? In a dark situation the only time you will see then is when your ports light up the sights with a fireball.

Maybe I'm a little harsh, but I just don't understand that "feature" set on a defensive pistol

The problem that I see with it is the porting. For an EDC, if you ever have to shoot it from retention, there is a chance of catching your clothes on fire. And if the shooter is a well endowed female the chance of that happening goes up significantly. I had a nationally known instructor point that out in a defensive handgun class that I took some years ago thru NE Shooters.

The problem that I see with it is the porting. For an EDC, if you ever have to shoot it from retention, there is a chance of catching your clothes on fire.

That'd be funny if someone could actually make that happen, but the real problem with porting is shooting from retention is hairy enough as it is, and porting makes it that much worse....

-Mike

That'd be funny if someone could actually make that happen, but the real problem with porting is shooting from retention is hairy enough as it is, and porting makes it that much worse....

-Mike

Mike,

Ask yourself how close you want your clothing to something like this?

ported-barrel-2.jpg

Mike,

ported-barrel-2.jpg

Yeah, setting fire to something with muzzle blast is probably next to impossible.... Think about it.... How fast is that gas escaping? Think of how little acutal burning mass there is..... With a handgun with modern smokeless powder, no way, not possible.

A black powder Pistol or rifle under the right conditions, absolutely

Mike,

ported-barrel-2.jpg

I wouldn't be worried about being set on fire, but feeling the muzzle blast, etc, is what I was getting at. With a ported gun its that much hairier...

-Mike

I do recall seeing a picture of someone's shirt catch fire from the ported flame.

Some folks don't get it or have no clue what shooting from retention is. Clothing that extends over your hand (billowing jacket, blouse on well endowed woman, etc.) is just too close to that blast and can indeed catch fire. Even if it doesn't, as Mike points out the heat and pressure of that blast from the ports would be less than comfortable.

Maybe if they didn't port it... Maybe more slide ridges and a slicker trigger, more stippling for grip.

^^this!

to me the porting is silly on carry piece.
if they gave it more aggressive grip texture, night sights, better trigger then it would make sense to me.

I do recall seeing a picture of someone's shirt catch fire from the ported flame.

Some folks don't get it or have no clue what shooting from retention is. Clothing that extends over your hand (billowing jacket, blouse on well endowed woman, etc.) is just too close to that blast and can indeed catch fire. Even if it doesn't, as Mike points out the heat and pressure of that blast from the ports would be less than comfortable.

And some folks do

https://youtu.be/6GtCkwcNjn4

I love my M&P Performance Center Ported 9L. I took the ported barrel out to shoot in Limited class for USPSA though [smile]. But, my 9mm STI has a muzzle break on it which substantially reduces recoil for really fast follow up shots. Granted I'm shooting 9mm major power factor ammo which on average chronos at 1500fps with a 115gr projo

To the OP, ported barrels on guns such as the ported shield may reduce felt recoil by 5-10% is my GUESS. I didn't feel a hell of a lot of difference with my M&P ported with standard pressure ammo. They look cool though!

Back
Top Bottom