M&P Shield .40 on the verge of Kaboom?

As I was picking up my brass this Sunday I noticed that most of the 50 cases looked like (below). The ammo was Federal American Eagle .40 165gr. I have shot plenty of this from the same case and this is the first time I noticed the bulging at the rear of the case. Can feel it very well with finger. Anyone else seen this? Should I be concerned? I'll be trying some other ammo this weekend.

BrassFrom5-18-14_zpsfb901f50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Also, everyone with a .40 cal shield should do some serious googling...seems to be LOTS of kabooms happening with this gun.

Also, everyone with a .40 cal shield should do some serious googling...seems to be LOTS of kabooms happening with this gun.

Its barely large enough for 9mm.
i have long questioned these tiny .40 guns....at some point somethings gotta give in any design. .40 is a lot of pressure for such a small barrel and slide.

A lot of my training buddies have talked about this and how the 9mm was a better choice for the shield

Sent it in today, seems like there are several out there with this issue and that the fix is a new barrel... Even the 9s

Wunderbar....I just picked one up. My Beretta is just too big for summer carry. It is brand new, though, so hopefully nothing like I just read...

The shield is small enough where the .40 is probably a poor choice for 95% of the people who buy it. I've had the opportunity to compare 9 vs 40 in the Kahr P9/40, PM9/40 and Glock 26/27.

In all cases with guns this small, I could shoot so much faster with decent accuracy that the 9 was the clear choice.

I think this seems similar to the old 38 Super cartridge when in development, the cases were unsupported and often blew out in the same area.

As I was picking up my brass this Sunday I noticed that most of the 50 cases looked like (below). The ammo was Federal American Eagle .40 165gr. I have shot plenty of this from the same case and this is the first time I noticed the bulging at the rear of the case. Can feel it very well with finger. Anyone else seen this? Should I be concerned? I'll be trying some other ammo this weekend.

BrassFrom5-18-14_zpsfb901f50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

what is the test fire date for your barrel? There is a theory out there that the barrels before 2013 had issues.

not sure if the barrel is fully supported on the shield, I've never had a problem with my full size or compact .40 M&P.

Recently I have seen a lot of crap ammo as well. I took my 38 to the range the other day with 2 fresh boxes of Remington 38sp. After firing on of many cylinders on one I could not push the brass ejector. Used the bench for leverage and it came out. One of the cases was split right down the side. I think they are putting out ammo so fast that the quality control sucks.

Man, I am now officially confused. was going to pick up a 40 shield this week, but as I read reviews online (EVERYWHERE) there are these horror stories. And not just confined to the S&W Shield. The gist of the arguments is that the ammo and guns are being cranked out so quickly to meet demand, that quality control took a back seat. I REALLY don't want to pick up a gun that will blow up in my hand (like I see posted on the S&W forum, LOL).

- - - Updated - - -

Recently I have seen a lot of crap ammo as well. I took my 38 to the range the other day with 2 fresh boxes of Remington 38sp. After firing on of many cylinders on one I could not push the brass ejector. Used the bench for leverage and it came out. One of the cases was split right down the side. I think they are putting out ammo so fast that the quality control sucks.

Wonder if they are getting the raw materials (i.e. brass) from some shit hole in China for a few pennies cheaper, and the metallurgy is not right?

My shield is due back today with a new barrel, recoil spring, mag catch... Been waiting all day for FedEx. I will update when I get to the range.

40SW and 9mm are essentially the same pressure.

Good point, 35K psi, give or take.

Contrary to some here, I don't doubt certain makers ability to make hardware that can stand up to a .40. (More powder, heavier bullet, more recoil)

What I doubt is the ability of most shooters shoot these tiny guns in .40 with any amount of speed and accuracy.

During the darkest days of the 2013 panic, I could always get my hands on PM40s, Kimber Solo .40, and yes even Shield .40s. The G27 was one of their last guns to dry up from their normal plentiful numbers. I can't tell you how many relatively new shooters who I've either given followup lessons to, or simply answered their questions when they were in the lane next to me having trouble with a .40. Often their grip is wrong, their stance is wrong, and they are not yet conditioned to much recoil.

I hand them my Glock 34 with my powder puff 9mm reloads and they get a smile on their face. All of a sudden they are kindof hitting the target. It will take more than a few rounds from a friendly gun to repair the flinch they've developed. But at least its on the mend. Many of these shooters are AFRAID of their little tiny micro .40s.

I'm not necessarily knocking the caliber. In a Gen 4 G22 its a great shooting round. In an STi edge, it shoots great. In a PM40 or a .40 Shield or G27 it defintiely does not.

Don

Storm lake is giving out mixed messages on the barrels. In separate e-mails to the company, I got one person telling me that the Shield conversion barrels were next in line for production and then last week got another person telling me that they were unsure if they were going to proceed with production. This was in reference to a 40 to 9 conversion barrel, so my info might not pertain to any 357 sig plans they have.

Back
Top Bottom