LTC - State Approval - Pin Number

Hello All,

I had a couple quick questions of which I couldn't find the answers to with the search function.

So my father and I, decided to get our LTC a little while ago. We did the class and sent in the applications to our local PD's. (we live in different towns). He was lucky enough to get in for application processing this morning. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since we turned in the paperwork to our PD's.

This morning after they did his picture and prints, he was told there is a new regulation in play with the processing of firearm permits. The detective told him all new applications are being processed and reviewed by the MA State Police and not the local PD issuing authority. And once you are approved, you will receive a PIN number in addition to your license. This PIN would be necessary for all purchases of firearms and ammo. And now with the new processing, e.g. via the State, the wait time will be anywhere from 8-12 weeks.

Has anyone heard of this new process, via the MSP? PIN numbers? If this has been covered in another thread and I wasn't able to find it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sull

Last edited:
I don't know about the MSP part but the PIN # is standard now. It can be used instead of the finger print. That is good in my case because my fingerprint scan never works.

The check is done by the CHSB, not the MSP. The pin is used in case their fingerprint reader is not working, you will need to enter your PIN. You do not need it for ammo, just need to show your license.

Wow guys... I refresh the page and voila! Thanks for the info. So I assume the detective meant the check would be via CHSB as opposed to MSP. Good to know about the PIN, makes sense.

The pin is not "required" but it is a good idea to keep it on you at all times. Murphy's law says the stupid fingerprint scanner will not work most of the time. I think it worked a total of ONE time for me, and since then, I've had to use the PIN every time.

-Mike

The pin is not "required" but it is a good idea to keep it on you at all times. Murphy's law says the stupid fingerprint scanner will not work most of the time. I think it worked a total of ONE time for me, and since then, I've had to use the PIN every time.

-Mike

So I'm assuming if your print doesn't scan, no purchase can be made, UNLESS you have the pin. Either way, great info, another PIN number for the BlackBerry...

I have no idea on the State Police thing...maybe that's new...not sure. In the time that it takes to get an LTC in this state...every one who resides here should be able to review your application for christ sake.

The pin is not new...you need it to buy a gun in case your fingerprint scan doesn't work...which mine never does. Most guys keep their pin in the cell phone, wallet or write it on the LTC itself and cover it with tape.

The pin is not necessary for purchasing ammo.....dealers will just look at your LTC, just like your being carded at the liquor store.

Your correct...no pin ......no gun purchase, either the fingerprint or the pin has to be put in for the computer to finish the FA-10 transaction.

Last edited:
FWIW the LEO who handled the issuing of permits in my town told me to "Write the PIN on the back of my LTC with indelible ink" Thats really not a good idea. Storing it in your phone is a better idea. Pins have been around for awhile as the others have said.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom