LTC in Milton

drboom

NES Member
We are considering moving to Milton during the time frame that my LTC A ALP will need renewal and it will be time for my wife to finally get her LTC. Does anyone have knowledge of the Milton PDs licensing practices?
I will of course call GOAL and the local PD as well.

Thanks, Jon

Masscarry.org http://www.masscarry.org/
had this posted
Milton Licensing Officer Conversation
Added by MassCarryAdmin at 5/24/2005 11:23:08 PM
A kind individual sent this information to me, and I'll post it here word for word:

Regarding Town of Milton CCW information I spoke to the licensing officer about Milton's policy regarding Class A ALP and got the following information. The Chief meets with you after you "jump through all the hoops" (his words) so he can't be taken to court for denying you arbitrarily. When asked what the Chief considers an appropriate reason for ALP, he said "it's on a case by case basis, but if you get denied you can take it to court. But I have to say that the Chief has never had a denial overturned." When asked what the policy was about residents who already have a Class A/ALP and live in Milton at time of renewal, he said "Well we'd have to take a look to see if the original reason for issuance of the ALP were still valid and if not it would be on a case by case basis" One interesting comment he made was that the Chief wanted the Court to take responsibility for any problems caused by someone with a Class A/ALP, not him. Doesn't look very promising, does it?

FWIW,
I spoke to the licensing authority in Milton and he tells me that there should be no problem renewing my LTC A ALP.
For my wife, since this will be her first license, he tells me that the chief requires 3 letters of recommendation and will restrict her license to T&H for the first year. After a year of no problems, she can request the restrictions be removed and they will reissue an ALP for no additional fee. The Sgt. in charge of licensing seemed like a good guy from the phone call.

Now I guess I'll just have to find a range I like nearby as this will be quite a hike to Mass Rifle in woburn. Thanks to the google earth listing by another member of this forum I see there is a range in dorchester nearby (boston gun and rifle club) but their webpage is so impressively bad it crashes my browsers.

Thanks for the help.
Jon

drboom said:
FWIW,
I spoke to the licensing authority in Milton and he tells me that there should be no problem renewing my LTC A ALP.
For my wife, since this will be her first license, he tells me that the chief requires 3 letters of recommendation and will restrict her license to T&H for the first year. After a year of no problems, she can request the restrictions be removed and they will reissue an ALP for no additional fee. The Sgt. in charge of licensing seemed like a good guy from the phone call.

Now I guess I'll just have to find a range I like nearby as this will be quite a hike to Mass Rifle in woburn. Thanks to the google earth listing by another member of this forum I see there is a range in dorchester nearby (boston gun and rifle club) but their webpage is so impressively bad it crashes my browsers.

Thanks for the help.
Jon

If you are looking for a good range close to milton you should look at Braintree Rifle and Pistol club. It is only about 15 mins from Milton. This club has both indoor, and outdoor ranges, offers instructional classes, and is generally a good place to shoot.
http://www.brp.org/

It might just be my perception, or the recent murder that happened at the Fields Corner T-station, but I believe that you need to be carrying to safely get to and from the Boston gun club!! [NOTE: The club is actually located on T property.]

Talking with some other shooters within the past week or two, that is their perception also.

Mind you, I am always CCW when I go to a range with guns, just as a "general policy". I was criticized for this at a former gun club I belonged to but felt it was safer to be armed as I left a club into a dark parking lot 1/4 mile into the woods with a gun box in hand. Lots of BR&P members carry at the club, both concealed and open and nobody thinks twice about it.

If you want to check out BR&P, just give me a shout by Email (link off this message) - Just put NES in Subject so I know it isn't Spam from unknown sources. www.brp.org

Edited to add: It was nice meeting you (SwatMedic) at BR&P last Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom