LoTW

That's what I was thinking...I was going to do it because so many other people do it.

Unless you're really banging out HF contacts with people who need the QSL for contests and you don't want to QSL direct, or unless you're going for a contest and people don't QSL direct, I wouldn't bother.

You can always add old logs if your focus changes.

Newb question: I Said "QSL". Now What?

Today I made my first non-repeater contact. I used my HT and a hand-held Yagi to bounced off of Satellite AO-51 (very fun). I managed to get all 4 call-signs' contacts and grid coordinates. Durning the fast action I said "QSL" twice, for which I was thanked.

I thinks this means I need to get a LoTW account and enter the contacts. Correct? Is there another way I should get them their QSLs? Do I even know what I'm talking about.[thinking]

Today I made my first non-repeater contact. I used my HT and a hand-held Yagi to bounced off of Satellite AO-51 (very fun). I managed to get all 4 call-signs' contacts and grid coordinates. Durning the fast action I said "QSL" twice, for which I was thanked.

I thinks this means I need to get a LoTW account and enter the contacts. Correct? Is there another way I should get them their QSLs? Do I even know what I'm talking about.[thinking]

Who knows if they even use LoTW. There are several ways to QSL. One is through the Bureau, which I don't do. Another is through eQSL, which I use. LoTW is another. Look on their QRZ page. Often they'll list how they prefer to QSL. You could also QSL direct. Just mail them your QSL card and include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and they'll mail you one back.

Many people don't use LoTW or eQSL, so if you enter it there, they may never receive it.

I've got it installed upstairs...but I don't know what I'm doing with it..

I'm now trying to get it installed on the downstairs PC by my radios and I can't get it up with the Cert that I was sent...

I need some help...

YO C_PHER any questions about ham radio call my dad he know evrything lol

OK. I'm getting much closer to going HF. SO I figured that I would start getting the PC down there ready for contacts as I go...

IS there an online logbook. Or a program that's free that I can use that will work well for keeping contacts?

OK. I'm getting much closer to going HF. SO I figured that I would start getting the PC down there ready for contacts as I go...

IS there an online logbook. Or a program that's free that I can use that will work well for keeping contacts?

Sure. I keep a paper log as well, but I also use eQSL and DM780's logging program. It automatically loads to eQSL if you want it to. The HRD side has one as well.

Sure. I keep a paper log as well, but I also use eQSL and DM780's logging program. It automatically loads to eQSL if you want it to. The HRD side has one as well.

I've been using the logbook that is integrated with HRD. I've never used anything else so I have no way of knowing if it's 'good' or not. Anybody have any experience with that one?

Their certs are funny. Can you use the same cert on multiple computers? I hate LoTW and use it only because others request it.

So, I figured out that you can export a .p12 file. I then used that to import into my copy on the PC downstairs and it worked.

I've been using the logbook that is integrated with HRD. I've never used anything else so I have no way of knowing if it's 'good' or not. Anybody have any experience with that one?

I'll also have to look into those as well. Thanks guys for the tips.

Who knows if they even use LoTW. There are several ways to QSL. One is through the Bureau, which I don't do. Another is through eQSL, which I use. LoTW is another. Look on their QRZ page. Often they'll list how they prefer to QSL. You could also QSL direct. Just mail them your QSL card and include a self-addressed stamped envelope, and they'll mail you one back.

Many people don't use LoTW or eQSL, so if you enter it there, they may never receive it.

Martlet, great advice. Only 1 of the 4 QSOs mentioned a preference on their QRZ.com page (LoTW). I looked into LoTW and I understaind why people don't like it. The Quick Start is 2.5 pages of finely detailed procedures (ugh). I loaded it and sent for the Cert anyway. It looks like I'll probably do eQSL as well as LoTW when needed, and use QSLmaker to make some cards for fun...then I guess I need HRD for logging and other stuff. Geezze, this is getting complicated.

Back
Top Bottom