Looking to get into reloading Swage enlighted me?

Will def want to reload .223 but wtf is swage is this equipment required. Have a ton of SA battlepack brass. Do you have to use this before you start the reloading process?
Super_Swage_600_m.jpg

now, reusing military brass, with its crimped primer pockets, has been a tedious task. The Dillon solution is a remarkably simple device that bolts to your bench and allows you to swage the primer pockets with speed and ease. The case is supported from the inside, so you won't be tearing the rims off the brass. A tool steel, hardened swage rod (easy to change from large to small primers) simply rolls the crimp away. No reaming is necessary. Our unique compound cam leverage system assures not only ease of operation, but perfect alignment with each and every round. Sound simple? It is and it works. What's more, it's inexpensive. The Super Swage 600 comes complete with large and small swage rods.

Not sure about the SA 5.56, but the SA 7.62 is all beridan primed. As for boxer primed military bras, yes you do have to remove the crimp before you can prime the brass. There are several options out there, I personally use the RCBS swaging dies.

I've used the RCBS, a Lyman (unavailable now) and currently use the Dillon primer pocket swager.

I absolutely LOVE the Dillon swager.

As to use, you can swage them anytime after the primers have been removed. I decap (remove the primers) as a separate operation, before sizing, so I save on breaking my sizer die decapping parts. I use the Lee decapping tool (about $15) to decap.

I will be looking to reload .223 still waiting on my dies from Dillon.

If I intend on using new or fresh brass I expect this is not a tool I will need as of yet. Am I correct>?

In my experience once fired military brass is the best deal for 223; I use it exclusively. I have been using a CH primer pocket swaging die ($22) for many years with great results. That was until I got my latest shipment of once fired military 223 brass. The crimp was so hard to remove that the case rims were being deformed by the shell holder due to excessive pressure.

The Dillon tool ($90 or so) solved the problem as the case is supported by a rod inside the case rather than a shell holder that places all of the pressure on the case rim. I highly recommend the Dillon tool for tough jobs like removing the crimp from military rifle brass. The less expensive CH die is great for easier jobs like pistol brass and a great deal at $22.

+1 on the Dillon swager !!! [smile]

I've done over a 1000 .223 and 30-06 cases. Still have about 2000 to go !!

regards....roger

I have a pile of range picked 9mm brass with "WCC" head stamps that appear to have a crimp in the primer pocket. Some also have a circled cross. Based on what I've gathered from Google, the WCC stands for Western Cartridge Company, bought by Winchester, and the circled cross is a NATO stamp.

Okay, I got that much figured out already from searching. My question is, would the Dillon swage tool work for taking the crimp out of these cases, like it does with .223?

I have a pile of range picked 9mm brass with "WCC" head stamps that appear to have a crimp in the primer pocket. Some also have a circled cross. Based on what I've gathered from Google, the WCC stands for Western Cartridge Company, bought by Winchester, and the circled cross is a NATO stamp.

Okay, I got that much figured out already from searching. My question is, would the Dillon swage tool work for taking the crimp out of these cases, like it does with .223?

The Dillon tool will swage the primer pocket just fine.

Back
Top Bottom