Looking for a bit more experienced advice than myself

I have not been reloading as long as other folks on this forum, but I ran into an interesting issue i am looking to get resolved.

I have been loading 4.5gr of w231/HP38 with a 124gr plated 9mm projectile and an OAL of 1.125. At 25 feet, its pretty damn accurate. Anything outside of that it opens right up. I load 4.7gr of Unique with the exact projectile and AOL and its a solid load well beyond 50ft.I shoot them out of a CZ SP01.

My question is, is W231/HP38 accurate for longer distance shooting? Could the charge be a bit much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When i initially set up my load for the w231, yes. Since them, my wife destroyed it thinking it was something else. I didnt use a chronograph for my load using Unique.

Long story short, it looked like the original Nintendo ds. She got really pissed at some puzzle game and smashed it. She vowed off video games because of it. I came home from the range one day and she saw my chrono on the counter and thought it was her ds and she smashed it. I'm still waiting for her to replace it.

Hmm interesting issue / problem... I have done lots of testing with different charges, OAL's etc. here is my recommendation (not specific to this powder) - has worked well in a few cases.

1. Find the most OAL that still gives you solid seating (no compression with mags or chambering) that loads well. While the primary benefit is for rifles - it helps pistols too, but at a lower level of benefit

2. Check if the grouping is one sided at 25 feet or 50 feet. Yes, different bullets have different horizontal trajectories along with vertical trajectories. Difference can be small but it adds up.

3. Test with +/- 0.2 gr increment

based on 2 and 3 - you can dial in your load and your sights.

good luck!

Are you at the upper or lower range of recommended poweder amounts?

I'd move towards the center.

Also, does the CZ have polygonal rifling? I ask because many guns with polygonal rifling don't like plated bullets.

I had a friend with a HK USP that would send Berry plated 9mm's through a target sideways. He gave me the about 100 rounds of loaded ammo and the rest of a 1000 round order. My glock, also polygonal, did fine with them. My 9mm 1911 loved them.

Don

I have not been reloading as long as other folks on this forum, but I ran into an interesting issue i am looking to get resolved.

I have been loading 4.5gr of w231/HP38 with a 124gr plated 9mm projectile and an OAL of 1.125. At 25 feet, its pretty damn accurate. Anything outside of that it opens right up. I load 4.7gr of Unique with the exact projectile and AOL and its a solid load well beyond 50ft.I shoot them out of a CZ SP01.

My question is, is W231/HP38 accurate for longer distance shooting? Could the charge be a bit much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also shoot an CZ SP 01. I get 1000 fps with 4.1 gr of WW231 with a 125 gr bullet, so 4.5 might be a little hot perhaps as high as 1100 fps. I would give 4.0 of 231 a try.

I also shoot an CZ SP 01. I get 1000 fps with 4.1 gr of WW231 with a 125 gr bullet, so 4.5 might be a little hot perhaps as high as 1100 fps. I would give 4.0 of 231 a try.

PS I believe that 4.7 of Unique is a much softer load than 4.5 of WW 231.

have you done a plunk test?
I don't know if true for your sp01, but my p07 duty and my sp01 shadow custom have short Chambers that require shorter oal with most bullet profiles.
I load to 1.075 with Montana gold and zero bullets. I think it starts to hit the rifling right around 1.100

As already mentioned try different OAL's. Also if you run a light crimp, try a little firmer. I has some issues with flyers at distances using Titegroup and a firmer crimp helped

Back
Top Bottom