[LONG]Took the new S&W 617 revolver to the range

yanici

NES Member
I was wanting a 22 pistol in order to cut down on my practice ammo costs. It would be the S&W 22A semi target gun, or a S&W Mod. 41 semi target gun or a S&W 617 revolver. The 41 at close to $1000 was too much...that's out. The 617 revolver won out over the 22A because I love revolvers and it feels like a gun should when you hold it. It's one large, K-frame, hunk of steel weighing 45OZ. and almost a foot in length with its six inch barrel.

Picked up a brand spankin' new S&W 617 22cal. revolver on Wednesday along with 1500 round of mini-mags. Started at the indoor range with the target at 25' and the gun produced a nice little group of about 1/2". The group was low so I cranked the open sights and tried again. Still low. No matter how much I crank it the darn thing shoots consistantly low. Tried different distances and burned through at least 150 rounds and gave up. I assumed I bought the lemon gun.

Stopped at the outdoor range on the way out to shoot a bit more. After shooting a bit I decided I'd try the open sights again. WHAT A DUMMY!! I had been adjusting the sights in the wrong direction. I had misread the direction of turn from the owners manual and didn't realize it until I actually looked at the gun and noticed the sights were moving backward from the intended direction.

Ho-ho, now we're hitting like a champ. Targets at 30', 50', 25 yards not a problem. Hmmm...shot at a few rocks at the 50 yard berm. Holy Toledo this gun is great!! OK, now just for fun there are some small rocks out at 100 yards. A liitle hold over at 100 yards and this guy is hitting within inches of the target rocks, sometimes I actually hit one dead on. Not bad for a pistol and with open sights.

If anyone is looking for a fun gun this one will do the trick. I expected good accuracy out to 25 yards but not the 100 yard stuff. I think I'll keep this one.[smile] Here's the link to S&W's page on the gun: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14747&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

Sorry for the long length of the post.

Last edited:
cool!

thanks for posting. while i can NOT fit this into my current lineup, this is a great post!

Thanks for posting. My wife and I were talking about getting a .22 for practice and keeping it cheep. The only problem is I have no real preference other than cost and she prefers revolvers. So I've been looking at trying to find a revolver in our price range and it hasn't been going so well. The SW site has the MSRP at $900 mind if I ask how much you got yours for?

Thanks for posting. My wife and I were talking about getting a .22 for practice and keeping it cheep. The only problem is I have no real preference other than cost and she prefers revolvers. So I've been looking at trying to find a revolver in our price range and it hasn't been going so well. The SW site has the MSRP at $900 mind if I ask how much you got yours for?
A 617 will retail for $650 give or take.

If you like the more traditional blued steel look, check out the Model 18. There are plenty used ones out there and new ones are starting to ship after a long absence from the S&W catalog.

If it matters to you, the 18 is a six shooter and the 617 is a ten shooter.

A 617 will retail for $650 give or take.

If you like the more traditional blued steel look, check out the Model 18. There are plenty used ones out there and new ones are starting to ship after a long absence from the S&W catalog.

If it matters to you, the 18 is a six shooter and the 617 is a ten shooter.

Thanks. Kind of about the range I thought it would be. I just wish the revolvers were closer in price to the semis. A Ruger Mark III can be had for around 300 out here but most .22 revolvers I find are in 450 and up range. I wasn't aware of the Model 18 though. The blue looks really nice. I just checked gunbroker and there were a few used ones for around 500 - 600. Still a little out of my range at the moment. But now it's on my radar. [grin]

I bought a couple of used Model 17s (95%+) a few years back for under $300 each. That was before they went way up.

I bought a couple of used Model 17s (95%+) a few years back for under $300 each. That was before they went way up.

Man that makes me depressed and ticked all at the same time. Really shouldn't have waited to get my license until this year. [angry2] It's my own fault really, I bought into the idea that it's too much work to get a license in MA. Had I done it when I first entertained the idea I could commiserate with everyone else when they post about the good ole days of cheap guns and cheaper ammo [angry]. I think I'll go stare at my rather empty safe and [crying].

Teej,

Ruger's Mark II/III is designed to be very easy to manufacture. The have many stampings and cast parts that require little to no finish machine work.

Smith & Wesson's basic design, upon which almost all its revolvers are based on, dates to 1896 and the majority of the parts that make it up require A LOT of complex machining to be made.

That's the reason for the cost difference.

There is another benefit to a well fitted, well assembled revolver. Right out of the box, it will smoke almost any similarly priced semi auto in the accuracy department.

My 17-6. I'd prefer one without a full underlug and standard grips, but this one shoots like a son of a gun. The grips, even though different than 'normal' grips, are original to the gun and do feel really nice, even though they are not traditional looking.

17_6left%20600x417.jpg

Nice lookin' piece there, Pilgrim. (Sounds like a John Wayne line)

Those are the factory grips? They dress the gun up nice.

Thanks. Kind of about the range I thought it would be. I just wish the revolvers were closer in price to the semis. A Ruger Mark III can be had for around 300 out here but most .22 revolvers I find are in 450 and up range. I wasn't aware of the Model 18 though. The blue looks really nice. I just checked gunbroker and there were a few used ones for around 500 - 600. Still a little out of my range at the moment. But now it's on my radar. [grin]

Another option is the Ruger Single Six. They go for a bit under $400 new.

Ruger single six is a great shooter but is single action revolver if you didn't know. They come in 22lr and a combo model in 22lr and 22mag.

An early 1955 model;
right2%20800x482.jpg

and a later 'combo' Super Single Six"
right1%20800x460.jpg

they are usually much cheaper than an S&W and are built like tanks.

The Ruger Single Six is a great looking gun. I've never shot one. They come now with two cylinders so that you can swap them out and shoot 22LR or 22Mags. From what I've read that is the weak spot. From what I've read, some who own the Single Six claim that the barrel is slightly larger to accomodate the 22 mag round. This causes a slightly loose fit for the standard 22 long bullet. With the loose fit of the bullet the accuracy of the barrel falls off. If not for the reported lack of accuracy on the Six, I would have bought it instead of my recently purchased S&W 617.

Back
Top Bottom