Long term storage of fired brass

I have accumulated a large quantity of once-fired brass. The idea is that I will, at some point in the future, start to reload my own ammo. Until that happens I need to make sure that the brass stays in as good of a shape as possible.

Is there anything special I need to do with this brass? Should I clean it before putting it into extended storage?

I'd certainly clean it. I keep mine in plastic storage bins in my basement. I'm sure if you keep the humidity low they should be fine for years to come.

Mine sits in 5 gallon buckets and totes in the basement for years. I usually just seperate it out into buckets until I get a full load of dirty brass, clean it and then dump it into the clean brass totes. I have never had any issues.

As long as it stays dry, whether its put away cleaned or uncleaned doesn't really matter.

I've got stuff that has sat dry and dirty for over ten years and it still cleans up nicely.

DRY is the operative word. I left several bucket of brass in my relatively dry (I thought) basement for about 8 years. When I pulled those buckets out while cleaning I noticed a bunch of cases were corroded green (verdigris, I believe it's called) I now store all my brass in ziplock bags (Get the bulk pack at Costco or BJ's). Several bags then go in a plastic storage container with a snap on lid. Am I being over cautious? Maybe, but 20 years from now when some of the brass may be hard to come by (seen much .38 spec laying around the range lately? It used to be the most common brass by far. Now 9's and 40's abound) I'll still have a nice supply for my favorite guns.

Cardboard boxes in bulk. I average 1000 9x19 cases per box. Never in my basement. I have stuff that after 10 years, decapped and run through a tumbler is still perfect. It makes my wife so happy that I have pemission to buy, put some cabinets up in our bedroom. Boxes in underwear draws, sock draws, shirt draws....You get the picture. I got a new safe by having guns under the bed! See a pattern! JP

Back
Top Bottom