• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lock-picking lawyer Police Car Gun Lock Bypassed in One Second

Holy Crap... That thing is useless.
They probably cost more than the rifle they are holding

Yeah. Because criminals who target police cars for their thievery always have one of those keys with them. LOL

It keeps people out b/c you need SOME key. He's not Fonzi. He doesn't hit it at the right spot on the buttstock and the lock pops open. It's a semi-blank key that fits those locks.

I'd say that is 99.999999999999993% secure in the US. No one is targeting police cars. No one is carrying that key with them.

Nah no one targets them.

Attachments

• media_741afe79db254def9cd098dc32f1b70dRacial_Injustice_New_York_41319.jpg
    media_741afe79db254def9cd098dc32f1b70dRacial_Injustice_New_York_41319.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 59bf08fffc7e93d53f8b4567.jpg
    59bf08fffc7e93d53f8b4567.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 20
  • protest-13.jpg
    protest-13.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20
Yeah. Because criminals who target police cars for their thievery always have one of those keys with them. LOL

It keeps people out b/c you need SOME key. He's not Fonzi. He doesn't hit it at the right spot on the buttstock and the lock pops open. It's a semi-blank key that fits those locks.

I'd say that is 99.999999999999993% secure in the US. No one is targeting police cars. No one is carrying that key with them.
They are electric locks with a handcuff key over-ride. Unlike the rest of us, a stolen rifle or shotgun from an LE vehicle will not result in a revoked LTC and an "unsecured firearm" criminal charge.

Just happened in quincy a few days ago. Not the same but similar lock.

First and foremost, the key is a backup only. There are a pair of wires that typically connect through a momentary switch hidden inside the police vehicle and then to a 12v source that is only available when the ignition key is on.

The most important design consideration for these types of locks is providing a long gun to a law enforcement officer quickly and consistently. During an active shooter event police can't be messing with a lock and key or waste time. It could cost them their lives or the lives of others.

There needs to be a single key used across the police department as they do switch up cars. Everyone needs the same key. The easiest choice is a key they already have. That's a handcuff key. Not saying that's a good choice but it's an easy choice.

Keys for the other lock styles can be readily acquired. Buy an old lock taken out of a police car and you have the keys. Not supposed to happen that way but it does.

I have a lot of familiarity with this industry. There is clearly room for improvement. Obviously shielding could prevent the magnet issue.

Truth is these are made via investment casting some sort of aluminum alloy. This stuff is fragile. Smack it with a hammer a few times and it will shatter.

These are like a padlock... to keep honest people honest. I own a patent on improvements to these designs. But the industry is slow to change. Unless police departments demand improvements they will stay the same. Been that way for decades.

if you looked, you could find someone who can defeat any lock. it's just not a jaw dropping experience like it once was.

Nah no one targets them.

I'm gonna say none of them is actively thieving from police cars on a regular and NONE of them have any clue about any key that could or could not work. But thanks.

Just happened in quincy a few days ago. Not the same but similar lock.

He didn't key it out. He BROKE it out. Because he had a PILE of time in the cruiser to do so.

If this lock is easy to pick or not is STILL moot. Its analogous to not carrying robot insurance. Same people that worry about this take their glove to baseball games "in case one is hit right at me." Those under 12 are exempted. It's like Diane FlimFlam bringing up some stupid point in order to "prove" we should ban all guns. Like "because locks can be picked in police cruisers, we should ban the private ownership of all guns."

Unlike the dome light. [shocked]

My pocket carry 18AWG jumper cables are starting to look like a good investment.[rofl]

Dude just hit the damn thing with a hammer a couple times. They are not the strongest alloys on earth. FYI a rock hammer works particularly well...

:)

As i wrote above LPL has a distaste for gun locks and police use of this particular type. NES used to have another member here who made these. They are not intended to be used alone but in conjunction with locked doors and situational awareness. I am not sure of LPL's stance on 2A . Is he being a lawyer and is concerned over liability or the false sense of security of these locks, in his opinion?

This.
Especially when tools are involved...

Here is a more current one with some of his tools.

The "Covert Companion"

Last edited:
Dude just hit the damn thing with a hammer a couple times. They are not the strongest alloys on earth.
Ah, it's pointless anyhow.
The dome light fuse would probably burn out trying to pull that solenoid down.

FYI a rock hammer works particularly well...
I always have at least an Estwing hammer and a rock chisel in the trunk;
in case a pegmatite should suddenly appear in the parking lot.

When I'm feeling really sporty, a crack sledge is added to the go-kit.

I'm gonna say none of them is actively thieving from police cars on a regular and NONE of them have any clue about any key that could or could not work. But thanks.

He didn't key it out. He BROKE it out. Because he had a PILE of time in the cruiser to do so.

If this lock is easy to pick or not is STILL moot. Its analogous to not carrying robot insurance. Same people that worry about this take their glove to baseball games "in case one is hit right at me." Those under 12 are exempted. It's like Diane FlimFlam bringing up some stupid point in order to "prove" we should ban all guns. Like "because locks can be picked in police cruisers, we should ban the private ownership of all guns."

If you look at any of these locks there is generally a gap between the top and bottom portion of the clamshell with some wiggle room. Plenty of room for a screwdriver or prybar. Part of the patent we hold added a tongue and groove mating surface between the upper and lower.

These things have not changed in 50 years or so. Seriously...

Back
Top Bottom