• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loading up .40 S&W

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Finally got to go the range today (freezing). I wanted to try out my new (used) Glock 22 gen 1. My normal go to powder for reloading has been Bullseye but I found a lot of people were unhappy with its performance in the .40 caliber so I have decided to go with Power Pistol.
Loaded up 20 each of Berry's plated flat point 180gr with 6.0gr of Power Pistol. I have to say I was very surprised at how well the powder meters from the Lee auto disk on my turret. The rounds shot true with a nice recoil. The Glock just ate them up with no issues with feeding or ejection. This load is on the lower end of the range but I think I will stick with it for now.
What is everyone else using for .40 (powders and bullet types) ?

I used to use nothing but 231 until it became hard to get, just like WW primers. I have been using Tite Group and Wollf primers with great results. TG seems to be a little cleaner than 231 and I find that I use about 20% less than 231 to get the same velocities. Wolf primers are also cheaper than WW; you got to save $ any way you can.

PS I must admit that Wolf primers seem a little harder to ignite than WW. I have had some FTFs in my 9mm M&P but no problems in Glocks or hammer type guns.

I use 700x (I had 2 twelve pound kegs of the stuff) with various jacketed hollowpoints and 165gr tc hard cast lead. I tried some 800x but found it very dirty and it didn't burn completely even with a tight crimp.

175 swc 3.5 bullseye oal loaded to 1.150 2" groups @15 to 20 yds from my beretta 96. This load is what i"ll be using for a while.

I have a bottle of W231 that I am going to have to try out. Seems a lot of people really like it. I was amazed at how clean the Power Pistol shot. I didn't even think about breaking down the gun for a cleaning afterwards and normally I am all over that.

Back
Top Bottom