Loading the .50/90 Sharps

The Goose

NES Member
I finally scrounged together enough components to load up some test rounds for my new .50/90 Sharps. Ultimately I want to load strictly black powder, but I am still tooling up for that. In the mean time I found two boxes of 425 gr. .50/70 cast bullets at Rileys, a container of 5744 and just received some Starline brass. As I started loading I noticed a few things. My bullet puller does not fit .50. My powder funnel does not fit .50. My largest loading blocks do not fit .50. My largest ammo containers just barely fit .50. Still, I did manage to load up 40 rds, enough for a good test run.

I have some better bullets on order (650 gr & 700 gr) and once I experiment a little will start casting my own. This is turning out to be quite a project.

50/90 next to a .45/70
5090002jpg-1.jpg

So how long before E C shows up with a revolver chambered in that. I have been trying to find load data for 45-90, where are you getting yours?

load data

The 11th edition of Cartridges of the World by Frank C Barnes has smokeless data for the .45/90 and .50/90. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has smokeless data for the .50/90 and the SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer by Mike Venturino and Steve Garbe has blackpowder data for the .45/90 and .50/90. I think Venturino has become a little too impressed with himself but the book has some good info on loading black powder cartridges. I don't know how to post this stuff but anyone is welcome to stop by and look at the books or I can copy the pages and mail them to you if you'd like.If you decide to load black powder,remember it's an explosive, and unlike smokeless powder, can be set off by static electricity (don't shuffle across the carpet and grab a can of black powder) and concussion. You know those little black dots on a roll of caps for a kids cap gun? That's black powder. Be careful

The Accurate Arms website should have loads for your 50/90. Ain't the Sharps a beautiful rifle? I've got the long range express in 45/70 with an RKO telescopic sight and it's quite accurate. Just a helpful hint,when you go to eject the empty brass put the rifle on half cock or the firing pin will score the face of the rim.

Found some data on 700 gr bullets for your 50/90 with 5744
Starting charge 31.5 grs for 1181 fps max charge 33 grs for1246. The velocity is with a 30" barrel These are from an Accurate Arms website from 2003.

The Accurate Arms website should have loads for your 50/90. Ain't the Sharps a beautiful rifle? I've got the long range express in 45/70 with an RKO telescopic sight and it's quite accurate. Just a helpful hint,when you go to eject the empty brass put the rifle on half cock or the firing pin will score the face of the rim.

I also have a Long Range Express in .45/70. I put a Montana Vintage Arms soule sight on mine. Great rifle.

Back
Top Bottom