Live in Vermont Buy in CT?

Hi All,
I am having trouble finding the details for buying a long gun in CT. I live in VT. Is there a waiting period? Any other helpful info you might have would be appreciated!

I should also mention that I'll physically be at the shop in CT.

Thanks,
Travis

Last edited:
Long Gun Sales and Transfer Procedures

Sales by Licensees. With some exceptions, when gun dealers sell or transfer long guns, they must conform to procedures, the essential elements of which are similar to those governing handgun transfers. The law prohibits dealers from transferring long guns until two weeks after an application. It also requires DPS to conduct a national instant criminal background check on applicants (CGS § 29-37a). But the licensee does not have to know the buyer or require that he or she present valid identification.

The law exempts from the waiting period:](1) federal marshals, parole officers, and peace officers; (2) anyone with a valid hunting license, eligibility certificate, or permit to carry handguns; (3) any member of the U. S. Armed Forces; and (4) anyone buying antique firearms (CGS § 29-37a(b)). It also exempts these people and transactions from provisions requiring (1) buyers to sign a receipt for the firearm and provide certain information on themselves and the firearm and (2) dealers to send this documentation to state and local police officials.

Last edited:
The exception to this would be a private party sale. You would need a receiving FFL to receive the firearm for you, and the sellar (as far as I recall) has to ship the weapon from an FFL, but short of that as long as the sellar has no reason to believe you would be disqualified from owning said firearm, he would be allowed to sell it to you.

Back
Top Bottom