"Lightweight" Ammo by Liberty...Any opinions?

GlockJock

NES Member
Just shot a friend's G43... Liked it a lot.. But was impressed by how lightweight it was, didn't even feel like it was loaded, cuz he carries Liberty "Civil Defense" rounds, which he says are "the absolute best, most reliable" etc for personal carry.

They really are light (a 9mm round that weighs about as much as an M&M peanut candy?) , leaving me wondering if indeed they are what they claim to be. Anyone have any experience with them?
..... Thinking of maybe switching from my Federal HST or Hornady Critical Duty in my G26 (to lighten the weight in my pocket), if the Liberty is that much better?? (these Liberty rounds are REALLY light) .

Last edited:
YouTube has quite a few reviews of the Liberty Civil Defense ammo. I have looked at it but don't have direct experience with it. It's very light weight, very fast, and has less recoil per the videos. It's fast enough to go through the body armor designed for pistols but not rifles (Level IIIA?) according to a test on the Military Arms Channel. Some people want heavier slower rounds and some want lighter faster rounds - different personal preferences. The Liberty ammo seems pretty nasty but Federal HST has a lot more reviews and seems much more popular for what that's worth.

I bought a box for my 42 because it was all the store had when I took it home. Claims 1500 fps out of a 42. Cycled fine shot where I was aiming. Can't really ask for much more out of shooting paper lol. Recoil was a breeze but the 42 is a champ anyways there. I don't really subscribe to the heavier is better blah blah blah. But I do worry about a really light round like that punching through a heavy coat in winter. Personally I like some old fashion Hornady xtp 124 grains on my hip. I always raise an eyebrow when I hear it's replacing the heavy hitters in the industry. *cough* *cough* r.i.p. ammo

I bought a box for my 42 because it was all the store had when I took it home. Claims 1500 fps out of a 42. Cycled fine shot where I was aiming. Can't really ask for much more out of shooting paper lol. Recoil was a breeze but the 42 is a champ anyways there. I don't really subscribe to the heavier is better blah blah blah. But I do worry about a really light round like that punching through a heavy coat in winter. Personally I like some old fashion Hornady xtp 124 grains on my hip. I always raise an eyebrow when I hear it's replacing the heavy hitters in the industry. *cough* *cough* r.i.p. ammo

My thoughts exactly re: clothing....a HEAVY leather coat / biker coat etc or heavy Carhartt style coat, plus a sweatshirt etc etc....Hmmmm....but it definitely makes the G43 much lighter.

I have Liberty Civil Defense in 380, 9mm, 40 and 45 and first saw them a year ago at KTP. I bought a couple boxes and was instantly won over.

It really makes the G23 light as a feather and it feels like you're not carrying anything in a spare mag. It's perfect for the 380 also and gives a really tight group.

Since it's also considered a fragmenting round, you may have less chance of hurting unintended targets. This video shows that drywall is destroyed by any bullet, frangible or otherwise.

http://youtu.be/k5219Q_XpSI

I still like the HST because it seems more like a sledgehammer for going through heavy clothing. The Civil Defense is more like an ice pick for "shanking".

I also find follow-up shots to be really tight groupwise with the Civil Defense. A mag dump with this stuff every blue moon makes for a good time.

Gimmick ammo, overpriced, run away, stay away... stick to the normal, well tested, proven stuff everyone else uses.

-Mike

I respect this guy's reviews, he doesn't think much of it.

ETA: Last I heard, his top rated round was HST.

Also, I realize this video is of their older product, but hard to believe it could have improved much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom