Light load on .32 H&R Magnum

Patriot

NES Member
I'm looking at loading some .32 Mag ammo using .32 S&W long charges.
Anyone see anything wrong with this? Just trying to get a light load
for the love of my life.

SRA 90 JHP (AA data)
.32 S&W Long = AA#2, min 2.3, max 2.5
.32 H&R = AA#2, min 3.6, max 4.0

#1 cost, If you have access to lead or wheel weights, you can buy a 2 cavity Lee mold for around 20 bucks, a Lyman melting pot & ladle for under 15, and a bottle of liquid alox and you a good to go. They drop from the mold at around .313 and the full wadcutter shoots fine. I had accuracy problems with a truncated point type bullet.
#2, If you are at the low velocity end of a load, there is a possibility of sticking a jacketed bullet in a barrel.

#1 cost, If you have access to lead or wheel weights, you can buy a 2 cavity Lee mold for around 20 bucks, a Lyman melting pot & ladle for under 15, and a bottle of liquid alox and you a good to go. They drop from the mold at around .313 and the full wadcutter shoots fine. I had accuracy problems with a truncated point type bullet.
#2, If you are at the low velocity end of a load, there is a possibility of sticking a jacketed bullet in a barrel.

Well, I understand the cost thing but I just can't take on another task associated with
reloading. As for the low velocity end I am just going with the min charge for the same
bullet that would be used in a .32 long so if the load is OK for that bullet it should be OK
for the .32 H&R Magnum since the only difference is length of the case. I would imagine
if the pressure will push a 90 gr bullet from my gun (I can shoot .32 long out of it) that I
expect it would shoot a 90 gr bullet with the exact same load out of a magnum case, no?
Am I wrong?

I would agree with using cast bullets. I use cast in my .32 H&R revolvers. Even if you choose to buy them IPO casting your own. You'll save a few bucks and still get good performance.

For loading 32 long, 85 G J is 2.6G 231, 4G Unq. *5G JHP 2.1-2.4G Titegroup,90G SIE 2.0-2.3 Tightgroup.
32Mag, 90GJHC 2.5 231 w/ 3.8 most accurate.
85G Hdy JHP 3.0-3.7 Titegrp, 90G SIE JHP 3.1-3.6 Titegrp
I use 3.5G B eye behind a 85G cast full wadcutter

I would agree with using cast bullets. I use cast in my .32 H&R revolvers. Even if you choose to buy them IPO casting your own. You'll save a few bucks and still get good performance.

I have some 90gr Berry's plated RN and as of now I am going load it with 2.4gr of Titegroup
at 1.35" OAL. That is the min load for the .32 H&R but I thought that I might try taking
this down to 2.0gr of Titegroup which is just above the minimum (1.9gr) on the .32 S&W
but at the same 1.35 OAL for the .32 H&R Mag. Since I am using the .32 H&R case I have to
use the max OAL for the .32 H&R cartridge vs the 1.85" length for the loading S&W long
calls for as the bullet would almost be completely inserted into the case at that length.

For loading 32 long, 85 G J is 2.6G 231, 4G Unq. *5G JHP 2.1-2.4G Titegroup,90G SIE 2.0-2.3 Tightgroup.
32Mag, 90GJHC 2.5 231 w/ 3.8 most accurate.
85G Hdy JHP 3.0-3.7 Titegrp, 90G SIE JHP 3.1-3.6 Titegrp
I use 3.5G B eye behind a 85G cast full wadcutter

Thanks BG. Did you work these loads up or are they called out in some book?

TBP

Well,

I took my 90gr Berry's plated RN with the 2.4gr of Titegroup to the range yesterday and shot
it out of my 432PD and they shot excellent. I'm pretty psyched as this was the first time I
have shot the gun where I wasn't watching my billfold empty as I was shooting. I only put
together 50 rounds but that would have cost me over $40 to do that if I were buying the
Federal 20 round boxes which seems to be the only thing any of the locals stock, and even
that is iffy at best. For anyone using Berry's plated go easy on the crimp. I had it set
originally on what I might set it for regular lead and it cracked the plating. I finally set it
just so there was a slight crimp line in the bullet and it worked great.

Cost breakdown:
New brass - ~ .14/5 uses (min) = .03ea
90gr RN Berry's plated .312 dia bullet - ~ .07ea
2.4gr Titegroup - @$20/Lb less than .01/ea.
WSP - ~.03ea
Time to make - Free
Cost per reloaded round - under .15 each.
Cost per purchased round - .75 each.
Cost of 50 reloads - under $7.50
Cost of purchased $15/20

Even using a JHP 85gr Hornady with a cost of $15/100 or .15 each the round
cost come out to around .25 each or $12.50/50. Not too shabby!

Last edited:
Well,

I took my 90gr Berry's plated RN with the 2.4gr of Titegroup to the range yesterday and shot
it out of my 432PD and they shot excellent. I'm pretty psyched as this was the first time I
have shot the gun where I wasn't watching my billfold empty as I was shooting. I only put
together 50 rounds but that would have cost me over $40 to do that if I were buying the
Federal 20 round boxes which seems to be the only thing any of the locals stock, and even
that is iffy at best. For anyone using Berry's plated go easy on the crimp. I had it set
originally on what I might set it for regular lead and it cracked the plating. I finally set it
just so there was a slight crimp line in the bullet and it worked great.

Cost breakdown:
New brass - ~ .14/5 uses (min) = .03ea
90gr RN Berry's plated .312 dia bullet - ~ .07ea
2.4gr Titegroup - @$20/Lb less than .01/ea.
WSP - ~.03ea
Time to make - Free
Cost per reloaded round - under .15 each.
Cost per purchased round - .75 each.
Cost of 50 reloads - under $7.50
Cost of purchased $15/20

Even using a JHP 85gr Hornady with a cost of $15/100 or .15 each the round
cost come out to around .25 each or $12.50/50. Not too shabby!

So much for saving money. I tried to drop my charge to 2.2gr and then to 2.0gr and I
ran out of adjustment on the standard small powder bar. I now have to buy a Dillon
extra small powder bar for $27 plus shipping if I want to go there. If I'm saving so much
money reloading why am I spending so much on reloading gear? [sad]

Back
Top Bottom