Life Cycle of a 9mm round - video project

Hi guys,

One of the more recent hobbies I have taken up is making my own ammunition. I created a couple of videos that show the life cycle of a 9mm bullet and thought it might be interesting to share. I find the process quite captivating and back when I wasn't into guns I know it would've been really neat to see - so I thought I would share it with you all.

The video is in two parts - a link to each is below.

If you're wondering about the zombie-theme. There is a sub-culture of the shooting community that jokes about zombie-apocalypse movies like 28 Days Later actually happening. It feeds into the whole gun culture and survivalist mentality. Plus zombies are just plain fun to shoot! *wink*

I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to pass it along to others that might like it too.

PART ONE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xa34Ey4Rp0

PART TWO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5BzhfAEvs

Cute videos, not knowing much about reloading I enjoyed them.

Considering you want to plug your ZO, I would have enjoyed seeing you use your Zombie targets. :)

Also during some of your fun scene changes "oh there's another one by the pool" I could have imagined seeing a close up of one of your zombie targtets... then hearing the Bang, Bang... and seeing holes being punched in the target!

Some criticism... work on the focus of your camera. You may want to switch off the autofocus when you are not hand holding the camera so the focus will stay clear (on the intended target). Of course, it could have been youtube compression, but some scenes seem to shift focus to me.

Tip: YouTube allows you to place a link in a video... have a link at the end of your first video to point to the second half....

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Cute videos, not knowing much about reloading I enjoyed them.

Considering you want to plug your ZO, I would have enjoyed seeing you use your Zombie targets. :)

Also during some of your fun scene changes "oh there's another one by the pool" I could have imagined seeing a close up of one of your zombie targtets... then hearing the Bang, Bang... and seeing holes being punched in the target!

Some criticism... work on the focus of your camera. You may want to switch off the autofocus when you are not hand holding the camera so the focus will stay clear (on the intended target). Of course, it could have been youtube compression, but some scenes seem to shift focus to me.

Tip: YouTube allows you to place a link in a video... have a link at the end of your first video to point to the second half....

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Dude, thanks for the tips! I'm really still learning youtube too and they keep adding stuff. I did have a focus issue, still not bad for a little Canon dig-cam. But yeah I was disappointed with the flutter.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

We'll have some much better vids of targets in use once we get to the "pit". It's really hard to get good shots at 20' at the range. The zoom just don't do the job. [smile]

Thanks for the comments guys. There is another VERY well done video on reloading here - the real deal you could say. The guy put A LOT of work into it. If you are serious about trying reloading - check it out.

Northshore Firearms in Middleton is where I got mine, they have them in stock (usually) and for my first purchase with them found the guys up there very helpful and accomodating!

Good luck and thanks!

Hey thanks for the vids. I never even had a clue how reloading was done. It really doesn't look that hard.

How long does it take you to reload 50rounds once they come out of the tumbler? I wouldn't count that in the process since its pretty much a walk away thing.

Hey thanks for the vids. I never even had a clue how reloading was done. It really doesn't look that hard.

How long does it take you to reload 50rounds once they come out of the tumbler? I wouldn't count that in the process since its pretty much a walk away thing.

You are welcome. That's why I thought it would be cool to share. I was VERY intimidated by reloading. Not only is it wicked fun (almost as much as shooting) it's fairly easy.

Once the rounds come out of the tumbler...I spot check all the cases. Probably can do 100 in 3 min. Then say another 3 min to put the tumbler away. Then setup the press with 100 primers - about 3 min. If I'm setting up a new powder charge 10 min, if using my old setting then just 2 min to check it. Then go to town. I average about 10 seconds a round...so in TOTAL to crank out 100 rounds after tumbling and including press setup, about 25-30 minutes.

If I have clean cases and my press is all setup I can walk into the basement and crank out 100 rounds in 10-15 min.

If I have plenty of powder and a couple primer tubes all filled up so I can just keep going w/o stopping to do different steps then I bet I could push up over 300 rounds an hour.

I think part of the reason I haven't got into re-loading is cost. The cost of the press and materials. I hopped on northshorefirearms website and it seems if i bought all the stuff it wouldn't be that much cheaper than what i was paying for WWB 100rd value packs.

Maybe now it would be easier/cheaper since ammo is in short supply and is expensive.

I think part of the reason I haven't got into re-loading is cost. The cost of the press and materials. I hopped on northshorefirearms website and it seems if i bought all the stuff it wouldn't be that much cheaper than what i was paying for WWB 100rd value packs.

Maybe now it would be easier/cheaper since ammo is in short supply and is expensive.

Well for me...I shoot a box of 50 a week. $10/box that is $520 a year. The whole setup cost $450 with scale and primer tray, tumbler. To make 1,000 rounds it costs $25 for powder, $30 for primers, $80 for bullets. So $135 for 1,000 VS store cost of $200. So I save $3.25 a box - or $169 a year.

The equip should last a lifetime...so after about 2 1/2 years I have made back my investment and have years and years of savings to go.

True though, there are calibers other than 9mm where you save A TON more by reloading.

Not to mention I have a reason to use my Zombie Ammunition box labels! LOL
http://www.zombieoutfitters.net/zabl8p.html

Back
Top Bottom