Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injured

I remember having a discussion in the Academy, mid '70's, concerning civilian assistance-the consensus was clearly that either the officer had to request or be asked if he/she wanted help and that the assistance had to be accepted in order for the civilian to receive any legal protection at all.

Curious as to whats changed in forty or so years ??

So you were an MP? Because otherwise you to were/are a civilian.

What? And miss my chance to shoot a scum bag..
Hell yeah, I'm going to do what I can to see that the officer is ok.
But not before I watch that dirt bag bleed out through some new fangled holes I may or may not have put in him![rofl]

You know what is wrong with America now?
We are more afraid of a judges actions instead of those of a criminal!

Pow, pow, pow, pow, Your ok buddy. Help is on they way!
I'm outa here before I get into trouble for helping you. Peace![smile]

Most cops on the street, the ones doing all the work, are pro 2A. It's the politicops, like the chiefs, who sometimes aren't even real cops, who don't think peasants like us should be left alone with our firearms.

I wish all cops would consider legal gun owners as back-up. My guess is the cops helped are probably anti's. Yes I am speculating with no facts to back up my statement, but more likely I am right than working. Anyway, glad it all worked out as well as it did.

I am guessing that these guys at some point will have an epiphany about anti opinions if they had any.

It could have turned out differently.

If you backed me up in Mass, I'd tell you to disappear. A Mysterious Stranger appeared ala Fallout.

Well I'd hate to be the "mysterious disappeared stranger". Your essentially a fleeing a felony and will be find your ass incarcerated held without bail until trial...14 months at least. Nice to 'Walter Mitty' this, but it will break bad for you and the police union aren't coming to your aid. Still when combat instincts kick-in all bets are off

If you backed me up in Mass, I'd tell you to disappear. A Mysterious Stranger appeared ala Fallout.
That would be the better part of wisdom in this state.
Never got a good look at him and he vanished in the confusion.
If that incident happened in Chicago city limits, I'm not betting this guy is completely off the hook yet.
The powers that be may have a very different view than the rank and file cops.

And this is not the way it should be though I don't know how best to prevent negative legal issues in cases of civilian assistance to law enforcement personnel in obvious need of help. Should previous experience-training or education be a get out of jail card -one thing for certain is that apparently there has been no change in this area since my time and this does need to change and quickly; its a very different world out there.

42!, like myself; a civilian is how you came into the world and, hopefully as myself, a civilian is how you also will depart.

Do any of you kids (not a negative term- I am an official old timer now) know what the significance of the following numbers might be: 248/193 ?

oldguy, thats why I only carry revolvers, ain't leaving any cases with prints/dna ..

to prevent negative legal issues in cases of civilian assistance to law enforcement personnel in obvious need of help.

How so. The legal definition in most, if not all, jurisdictions is to use deadly force to prevent grievous bodily harm.

If someone is shooting at a cop, (assuming he is at combat distance) this absolutely meets the definition of grievous bodily harm. No new law or legislation needs to be implemented, the absolute same 'rules' need to be applied to 'civilian' use of force.

I wish all cops would consider legal gun owners as back-up. My guess is the cops helped are probably anti's. Yes I am speculating with no facts to back up my statement, but more likely I am right than working. Anyway, glad it all worked out as well as it did.
Don’t know why you think that. Almost all the cops I know consider LTC cards to be what they call “good guy cards”. I’m yet to personally know a anti “beat” cop. Political cops sure, rank and file no.

Don’t know why you think that. Almost all the cops I know consider LTC cards to be what they call “good guy cards”. I’m yet to personally know a anti “beat” cop. Political cops sure, rank and file no.
Oh there's a few out there that are full of themselves and tout the "I'm the only one professional enough to have a gun." line.
That's usually the dumbass that shoots himself in the foot or some other act of stupidity with a gun.

Oh there's a few out there that are full of themselves and tout the "I'm the only one professional enough to have a gun." line.
That's usually the dumbass that shoots himself in the foot or some other act of stupidity with a gun.

Sadly this is true.... There are some cops (rank and file) that think cops should be the only ones with guns. The majority I know believe in private gun ownership. There are also guys that wouldn't hesitate to make an arrest when the sole crime is a firearm storage issue, or some other such offense that in and of itself doesn't hurt anyone. They will think they did a good job because they made a "gun" arrest.

The guy with an LTC who has never hurt anyone or ever threatened anyone with a gun isn't the problem.

The gangbanger, crack dealer or house breaker with no LTC and a hi-point who is willing to shoot someone because they were "disrespected" is the problem.... Lock that guy up instead...

I have personally been in situations where LTC holders made simple mistakes, they were advised on what they need to do in the future and we went our separate ways... Problem solved

And this is not the way it should be though I don't know how best to prevent negative legal issues in cases of civilian assistance to law enforcement personnel in obvious need of help. Should previous experience-training or education be a get out of jail card -one thing for certain is that apparently there has been no change in this area since my time and this does need to change and quickly; its a very different world out there.

42!, like myself; a civilian is how you came into the world and, hopefully as myself, a civilian is how you also will depart.

Do any of you kids (not a negative term- I am an official old timer now) know what the significance of the following numbers might be: 248/193 ?

oldguy, thats why I only carry revolvers, ain't leaving any cases with prints/dna ..

Don’t know, need to know.
What’s the significance of 248/193?

Back
Top Bottom