Letter to Police Chief About Licensing **update**

Well I just finally finished getting all moved into my new place here in Leominster. Tomorrow I'm taking all my address changing paperwork to my old town PD and my new one here in Leominster.

Heres the kicker though. Not only do I have an LTC-a unrestricted but I also have a Machine Gun License. When I spoke to the licensing officer in my old town, Oakham, he recommended that I enclose a letter to the chief here in leominster explaining why I have it and to offer a face to face sit down to discuss the possibility of retaining both licenses.

The only hitch in the giddy up is I have no firearms under the machine gun license, I have it merely for inheritance purposes.

My question to my fellow NESers is should I keep the letter short asking for a sit down or should I be upfront and be as detailed as possible about my reasoning and desire to keep this license??

12/1/09

So I contacted my old chief in oakham and asked his advice, and he advised a personal letter to the leominster chief asking a sit down and just a brief meet and greet about the MG license. Heres my only question now.....

I sent everything out all certified over night blah blah but now Do I get new licenses with my new address? If so do they go to the Leominster PD? If not is it just assumed they are still both active? The waiting is going to drive me nuts!

Last edited:
Well I just finally finished getting all moved into my new place here in Leominster. Tomorrow I'm taking all my address changing paperwork to my old town PD and my new one here in Leominster.

Heres the kicker though. Not only do I have an LTC-a unrestricted but I also have a Machine Gun License. When I spoke to the licensing officer in my old town, Oakham, he recommended that I enclose a letter to the chief here in leominster explaining why I have it and to offer a face to face sit down to discuss the possibility of retaining both licenses.

The only hitch in the giddy up is I have no firearms under the machine gun license, I have it merely for inheritance purposes.

My question to my fellow NESers is should I keep the letter short asking for a sit down or should I be upfront and be as detailed as possible about my reasoning and desire to keep this license??

Are you allowed to hand deliver those change of addy forms? I mean, I wouldn't see why not, but MA is a screwy state. Make sure you send one to CHSB as well!

As for the MG license, I think that someone with more experience can shed some light on it.

Are you allowed to hand deliver those change of addy forms? I mean, I wouldn't see why not, but MA is a screwy state. Make sure you send one to CHSB as well!

As for the MG license, I think that someone with more experience can shed some light on it.

As far as I know yes its not a problem. The letter to the CHSB needs to be sent certified mail though, that much I do know.

I hope i get to keep it though, the LTC im not to worried about but the machine gun license is a whole different can of warms thats for sure.

All 3 need to be sent certified mail. This is not to say that you cant have a sit down, just that to cover yourself legally you need to send all 3 in the mail.

Ch 140 S131

(l) The executive director of the criminal history systems board shall send by first class mail to the holder of each such license to carry firearms, a notice of the expiration of such license not less than 90 days prior to such expiration and shall enclose therein a form for the renewal of such license. The taking of fingerprints shall not be required in issuing the renewal of a license if the renewal applicant's fingerprints are on file with the department of the state police. Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

now im guessing this means i do all the same for the machine gun license as well correct? should i send this in the mail to the police chief or the licensing officer in leominster? Maybe send it in the mail to the licensing officer and hand deliver a copy for the chief so he has the heads up?? I should have stayed in oakham sheesh[thinking]

What I did, which is not to say it was right, was to send to Chief in new town, old town, and to FRB. Return reciept so I have proof. I doubt anyone will call you on it, its just a legal CYA move. As far as the MG lic I have no clue, I would assume the same, then hand deliver and speak to the chief I guess.

Yes it could be a problem. My son moved to a town that only issues ALP unrestricted but he moved from a town that restricts class A permits to hunting and target. No concealed carry. The new chief could not change the license because the original town refused to remove the restrictions. He must now deliver a letter to the issuing chief and ask him to expire (the chiefs words) the old license so that the current issuing chief can issue him an ALP. He has to pay all over again. The same town that wouldn't lift the restrictions also refused to renew a friends machinegun license when he moved there. THey said that because he hadn't bought any machineguns, he didn't need the license and refused to renew it. Another friend who is a captain on the fire dept in that town as well as a resident, was laughed out of the police dept for asking about a machinegun license. As you can guess, he also has a restricted license.

Leominster is green so you shouldn't have trouble with your LTC, no problem. (I know two people that got unrestricted LTC's there recently, and one even had minor blems on his record (but not statutory dis-qualifiers, of course).

Just fire off the appropriate letters for both licenses via registered mail. That's what the law requires... no pomp and circumstance, no hand delivery, no letters or any of that crap. That's not something you do as part of
that procedure.

As far as the MG license goes, you SHOULD HAVE checked with the IA before
you moved.... no idea whether or not Leominster will do them or not, but if what I've seen is any indication, shouldn't be a problem.. but I would highly suggest speaking with the issuing authority to see if it will be a problem renewing it or not...because if it is, you might want to rethink your plans.

-Mike

Leominster is green so you shouldn't have trouble with your LTC, no problem. (I know two people that got unrestricted LTC's there recently, and one even had minor blems on his record (but not statutory dis-qualifiers, of course).

Just fire off the appropriate letters for both licenses via registered mail. That's what the law requires... no pomp and circumstance, no hand delivery, no letters or any of that crap. That's not something you do as part of
that procedure.

As far as the MG license goes, you SHOULD HAVE checked with the IA before
you moved.... no idea whether or not Leominster will do them or not, but if what I've seen is any indication, shouldn't be a problem.. but I would highly suggest speaking with the issuing authority to see if it will be a problem renewing it or not...because if it is, you might want to rethink your plans.

-Mike

Ya unfortunately I kind of needed to move, here really wasnt much of an option, mine and my girlfriends jobs need us to be somewhere in this area and this was the top choice. I have a buddy on the force here and had spoken to him previously about it he didnt think it would be a problem but had no certain answer about it. The chief in oakham also said it shouldnt be to much of a problem and that he would speak to the chief here in leominster if need be.

Well see ill keep my fingers crossed

you have a green card? and you just moved here?

you're my new best friend. [laugh]

i sent the paperwork certified mail with delivery confirmation even if the post office was within walking distance of the police station. the law says certified mail so certified mail it was to the city and state.

The licensing clerk in Leominster is great. You should really give her a call if you have any questions. Her number is listed on the application requirements doc.

I ended up speaking with her after i sent in the paperwork, with a letter to the chief per my old chiefs advice. She basically told me she didnt see what the big deal was as they had no desire to try and revoke it from me so i get to retain both! YAY! Now do I get new cards with my new license?

you have a green card? and you just moved here
you're my new best friend. [laugh]

i sent the paperwork certified mail with delivery confirmation even if the post office was within walking distance of the police station. the law says certified mail so certified mail it was to the city and state.

Well i got it in oakham but just moved here so it was just a transfer situation

I ended up speaking with her after i sent in the paperwork, with a letter to the chief per my old chiefs advice. She basically told me she didnt see what the big deal was as they had no desire to try and revoke it from me so i get to retain both! YAY!

That's good news!

Now do I get new cards with my new license?

There is no new license. You keep your old LTC/GC until it is time to renew. I would apply for renewals on both in Leominster at least 30 days before the
expiration of either.

-Mike

That's good news!

There is no new license. You keep your old LTC/GC until it is time to renew. I would apply for renewals on both in Leominster at least 30 days before the
expiration of either.

-Mike

Ya I will most likely make myself known to the chief in person long before that time comes just so they know im not some bum. Luckily they dont expire till november of 2013 so ive got a while [smile]

Back
Top Bottom