• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Let children aged 10 have guns' – police chief

GSG

From the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-10-have-guns-ndash-police-chief-2140300.html

The minimum age at which people can apply for a gun licence should be lowered from 14 to 10, Britain's most senior firearms officer has suggested.

Assistant Chief Constable Adrian Whiting, the firearms spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said that the age at which children can legally apply for a firearms certificate should be brought down to the same age at which they can apply for a shotgun licence...

Color me surprised.

I thought it was extremely difficult to get a permit in the UK.

About like Mass with a home visit. They also want to to show you have a need. Just wanting one is not enough. If you hunt, you need a place to hunt, if you target shoot you need to be a member of a club. The clubs over there keep records so that you can prove to the police that you actually shoot. Don't shoot your rifles for a couple of years and then get an audit, and woops you don't need this any more.

B

This is the same country that requires an adult to show an ID to purchase a butter knife, possession of three carpet knives by a tradesman is a felony, and schools have banned neckties because they're too dangerous.

This is the same country that requires an adult to show an ID to purchase a butter knife, possession of three carpet knives by a tradesman is a felony, and schools have banned neckties because they're too dangerous.

This is what stood out to me:

firearms spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers

Pretty sad when the head of a police chiefs association in the UK is more pro-gun than MCOPA. [thinking]

In Maine there is no law on the age one can own a firearm. My daughter got her first firearm a Western auto 100a bolt at the age of 7 cause she wanted to shoot with daddy ( makes a man very proud ). I took her and the rifle ( this is the one she picked out ) to my local gunsmith and had the barrel shortened to 16.5 inches and the stock thinned and shortened. She became VERY proficient with it. Needless to say she has and does own several of her own and in another great tradition of Maine law. The day after her 18th birthday she received her Maine carry permit.

Mu grandson is 2 and a half and I already have several rifles in a safe for him. I can not wait until his mother and I can take him shooting. Dreams do come true.

About like Mass with a home visit. They also want to to show you have a need. Just wanting one is not enough. If you hunt, you need a place to hunt, if you target shoot you need to be a member of a club. The clubs over there keep records so that you can prove to the police that you actually shoot. Don't shoot your rifles for a couple of years and then get an audit, and woops you don't need this any more.

B

My Uncle is a cop in Scotland and from talking to him, even hunters font get the permits anymore. Sure, there is an application, but it is never accepted! O and forget about handguns, those are completely banned.

My Uncle is a cop in Scotland and from talking to him, even hunters font get the permits anymore.

What's "Hunters Font" ?

Is that Gaelic?

Translation please

Headscratch.gif

My Uncle is a cop in Scotland and from talking to him, even hunters font get the permits anymore. Sure, there is an application, but it is never accepted! O and forget about handguns, those are completely banned.

Yes handguns are banned. Don't really know about hunters too much, but someone must be getting rifles because this guy does a bang up business in the UK making straight pull ARs. One of the largest rifle matches in the world is held at Bisley England.

B

Oh yeah don't forget Midway UK. They sell lots of shooting stuff in the UK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom