legal to posses <16" w/ perm comp???

If i get a barrel that is 14.5" in length, but permanently attach a muzzle break/ comp / whatever that is 2" is that legal? Technically the barrel would then be 16.5", which seems to be pretty legal to me.[thinking]

IANAL, but it must be perm (silver solder) attached and overall length must be >= 16". So it sounds like it should be legal if it's perm attached.

Correct. the guy doing it is permanently attaching it to the barrel. I figured it WAS perfectly legal so long as the length was >=16", but wanted some other people's opinions. thanks guys.

IANAL, but it must be perm (silver solder) attached and overall length must be >= 16". So it sounds like it should be legal if it's perm attached.

Welded or blind pinned are also legal. That's from the BATFE.

As was said, don't have it in the same location as a lower, until after it's made legal.

As Cross-X mentioned, what's the point? You can get an M4 profile 16" barrel, and they do work well.

What's the attraction of an unusually short barrel when you must put on a long muzzle break just to make it legal here?

You mean you don't sleep with a 7" 40 cal AR-15 with a silencer under your pillow? :)

What is the MA law on SBRs? Can you legally posses them after you get a tax stamp?

If i get a 14.5" barrel w/ comp/brake it will be roughly 16", but if I have a 16" barrel with comp/brake, your talking closer to 17-18" barrel

The Bushmaster Mini-Y Comp is about the same length as a issue flash supressor.

Frankly speaking, if it were me, I'd got with a plain 16" barrel.

http://bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_barrels_index.asp

Check out the barrels below. All can be had with no lug, and either a brake/comp or plain barrel.

Bushmaster 14/5" M4 Type Barrel Assembly w/AK Muzzle Brake

Bushmaster SuperLight 16" Barrel Assembly

Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine - M4 Type 16" Barrel Assembly

if you have a AR lower make sure the brake is attached before you receive the barrel

Huh??? Is this another legal requirement?

What are the laws that this would violate? An unassembled gun with half the parts missing (Stripped lower) doesn't constitute a gun.

While I'm posting: I'm planning on ordering a post-ban upper (with bayo lug and flash hider) and then having both removed (since I want a certain gas block and Muzzle brake anyway) after I get it. Is there any problems with keeping the old gas block and FH for any future move to a free state or is mere possession of these items a problem?

What are the laws that this would violate? An unassembled gun with half the parts missing (Stripped lower) doesn't constitute a gun.

While I'm posting: I'm planning on ordering a post-ban upper (with bayo lug and flash hider) and then having both removed (since I want a certain gas block and Muzzle brake anyway) after I get it. Is there any problems with keeping the old gas block and FH for any future move to a free state or is mere possession of these items a problem?

I don't know what parts he has, if he has a AR already and gets a 14" barrel without the brake attached then its a SBR, even if its not assembled

If you have a complete AR-15...even if it isn't the intended victim...intent to construct an unregistered SBR.

If you have a complete AR-15...even if it isn't the intended victim...intent to construct an unregistered SBR.

That "If" is the point I'm wondering about. In my case I have a stripped lower and plan on having a complete upper assembly. Since it's NOT a complete weapon (the guts of the lower are missing), does that count?

That "If" is the point I'm wondering about. In my case I have a stripped lower and plan on having a complete upper assembly. Since it's NOT a complete weapon (the guts of the lower are missing), does that count?

http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faqhtml.html#Short_Barreled_Rifles

The Court have said that a set of parts was not a short barreled rifle, unless the only way to assemble the parts was into a short barreled rifle. As this set had a legitimate, legal, use for all the parts it was OK. However they also approved of lower court cases holding that the sale by one person, at the same place, of all the parts to assemble an AR-15, with a short barrel, was sale of a SBR, even if they weren't assembled together at the moment of the bust, and had in fact never been assembled. See U.S. v. Drasen, 845 F.2d 731 (7th Cir. 1988)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom