Lee Pro1000

I have loaded about 40K on my Lee Pro 1000 in 45acp and around 20K on my .38 super Lee. If you don't mind a press that you need to adjust and maintain fequently, then they are great. If you want a set and forget.... spend the money on a Dillon

TYPE01313,
I'm a 650 guy but I've heard good things about the Hornady L-N-L and not so good things about the LEE.

But for $145 you can't go too wrong.

Respectfully,

jkelly

If you sign up on Midwayusa they give you a big discount when your birthday comes up.

Just give them a different birthday and go for the Hornady LnL. With the free bullets that you get for buying the press and dies.

You get a 1000 bullets for just buying the press and a 100 for each set of dies.

Just bought one

Hey just picked one up and UPS should be dropping it off today. I will be working this weekend to set it up. Only thing i've ever reloaded was shotgun shells, so i'm jumping into this pretty blind. I'll let you know how it goes.

It'll do the job just fine and turn out high quality ammo very quickly. Just be sure you have the windows in your reloading room closed tight while running it, or your neighbors will think there's a domestic going on.

Looks like a good buy! Can't wait to have a house, that way I can get into reloading. The Apt is very limited in space.

Typeo1313, I'd get it. You can't go wrong with that price. My uncle has one of those, and he hasn't had any major problems with it.

Here we go again!!!!

I have one and it is a P.O.S. in my opinion. As Supermoto said he has loaded a ton of ammo on one. I bought one when I first started reloading and I couldn't get the thing to work right. It was constantly requiring adjustments and the press isn't very sturdy. The powder measure leaves a lot to be desired. That being said it is cheap and you get what you pay for.

The probl. with buying the Pro1000 is you will buy it and a month later buy a Dillon. Just save your money and buy the Dillon. The Dillon 550 is prob. your best bang for the buck.

pete

Red is fine for me, maybe Blue for you. Either one is worth the investment. Thousand bullets made up my mind.

I have a Lee Turret press, which uses the same base and ram as the pro1000.

I also have a Loadmaster, and it is much heavier duty than the turret, and still affordable at $225 ready to rock from Midway.

Since there's already a thread on the Pro1000, look at what I just came into posession of

DSC012561.JPG

It was my grandfathers.......he used it to reload before he was retired from the local police dept. Right now its set up for 9mm, but he has the dies for .357 and .38 and maybe a couple others. Also got a tumbler in the attic.....I'll have to dig it out.

I have loaded about 10,000 rds og 45acp with Lee 1000. Once you get use to it it run pretty smooth. The bulk of the problems I,ve had is operator error with regard to seating the primer. Works good for me.

IMO most lee products are a love/hate thing- there is no middle ground. You're either petting that press lovingly or getting tempted to bring it to the range and blow it apart with an AK. [laugh]

If you're trying to save money I think an excellent middle ground is a Hornady LNL. Those that use them report very few issues once the things have been set up and you know how
to work it.

-Mike

IMO most lee products are a love/hate thing- there is no middle ground. You're either petting that press lovingly or getting tempted to bring it to the range and blow it apart with an AK. [laugh]

If you're trying to save money I think an excellent middle ground is a Hornady LNL. Those that use them report very few issues once the things have been set up and you know how
to work it.

-Mike

I know SEVERAL shooters that have started with the LnL only to switch to a 550 or 650 because of numerous problems. That being said I've never used one so I can't say from first hand experience if it is a good or bad press.

I've been using a LnL for about a year and a half and have experienced no major issues. I had a few parts breakages that were my fault and Hornady has quickly shipped replacement parts to me free of charge. I've never been able to afford a Dillon product so couldn't comment on them.

If you want to start reloading 45ACP you won't go wrong with the Lee Pro 1000. The price is significantly lower than the Dillon 650 and with the auto shell feeder you can be very productive in rounds/hr. The loading of primers in the 1000 is much faster/easier than loading primers for any of the Dillons unless you invest in an expensive auto primer tube loader.

The 1000 does require periodic adjustment: 1) tension on the brass chain of the powder drop must be snug. 2) primer feed tray needs occasional tapping to ensure a full stack of primers are in the primer chute. 3) the timing screw needs to be adjusted but not often.

With additional investment you can load other calibers. I load both 45ACP and 357 Mag on the same press.

I have a Pro 1000 too and love it. I usually leave it set up for 9mm, but I have all the plates and die heads to do quite a few other calibers. Last night I pulled a marathon session and loaded 1000 rounds of 9mm! No issues. They do take a little getting used to and if you don't mind the occasional adjustment, tap of the primer tray, or tweaking the timing (this is usually the result of operator error) then these presses are the best bang for the buck. All said, they work for reloading ammo, what more do you need?

Got my Pro 1000 and i decided to take it slow, polish some brass and run the cases through the press to resize and punch primers. After cycling through 200 cases i can see where people might have a hard time. A few times i short pulled and screwed up the timing but as long as you stop and think about what's happening it's pretty easy to fix with minimum screwed rounds. I'll be picking up powder and primers tonight and report on completed rounds next week.

I have 2 of them. Love them both, and I can load accurate consistent ammo, in a short period of time!

Back
Top Bottom