LEE 20# pro pot questions

Guys , typically in the past i was dropping pours around 725F and after attending the NES Cast siminar and talking with all the experts i realized i was casting at too hot of a temp. My last cast session pouring my . 58 minni's i stayed around 650F . The problem i had was the pots' dispensing nozzle kept clogging from the lead becoming cold. It was not a big deal as i ladle poured.

Do you guys perform any type of maintenance cleaning to your LEE pots ? Maybe my nozzle has debris causing a lack of required heat distribution to allow the nozzle to continually flow ? When i was casting around 750f never had any nozzle issues.

Guys , typically in the past i was dropping pours around 725F and after attending the NES Cast siminar and talking with all the experts i realized i was casting at too hot of a temp. My last cast session pouring my . 58 minni's i stayed around 650F . The problem i had was the pots' dispensing nozzle kept clogging from the lead becoming cold. It was not a big deal as i ladle poured.

Do you guys perform any type of maintenance cleaning to your LEE pots ? Maybe my nozzle has debris causing a lack of required heat distribution to allow the nozzle to continually flow ? When i was casting around 750f never had any nozzle issues.
Bump the heat a bit. I like to cast as low as possible while keeping everything else in check.
If I can run 650 on a warm summer day with no wind then good. If it’s winter and the wind is whipping in the window then I need to bump a little to fight the cold nozzle.

Pure lead takes a little more heat too.

Bump the heat a bit. I like to cast as low as possible while keeping everything else in check.
If I can run 650 on a warm summer day with no wind then good. If it’s winter and the wind is whipping in the window then I need to bump a little to fight the cold nozzle.

Pure lead takes a little more heat too.

Interesting, i typically use a fan blowing across the pot to keep the residual smoke away from my face . This probably added to the nozzle cooling too much.

assume your running pure lead for mini ball ? pure lead melts at 625 or so , might have to turn the heat up a notch. If your happy running at higher temps then do so. pure lead is less of a issue at high temps. your not going to oxidize the tin out of it.....

I keep a torch near by to give it a little help when it happens. I run my pot about 700 and depending on the day and wind conditions my nozzle does freeze up. I’ll also get some crud build up in the nozzle over time that I have to free up with a piece of wire. @pastera gave some tips about this not that long ago in the main post.

I keep a torch near by to give it a little help when it happens. I run my pot about 700 and depending on the day and wind conditions my nozzle does freeze up. I’ll also get some crud build up in the nozzle over time that I have to free up with a piece of wire. @pastera gave some tips about this not that long ago in the main post.
This
The Lee Pot does a crappy job of shielding the nozzle from drafts so it freezes easily.

Back
Top Bottom