leather restoration

m44

Just curious what do you guys usually use to restore old leather, right now I have a old army field phone in a leather case and a ww2 pilots shoulder holster for the 1911. Both need a complete leather restoration any advice on what to use would be appreciated.

Pecard's works great. Any soap will clean, but dry the leather. Pecard's has a line of products, but the antique leather dressing is the best for old slings and other leather. It's not very expensive at all and does a great job.

Leathuh...

M,

I work with leather....

First, clean the leather, saddle soap, any of the spray/pump leather cleaners. Get it clean. Let it dry. (warm area, with ventilation, try the top of your water heater or near a furnace, add a fan!).

THEN..once clean and dry you need to add some emollients to the leather to get it "fed". Most consist of oils and water mixed together. Lexol type products are like this. Good stuff. Apply, let soak, reapply. This can take days (yes, really) with old stuff. Once it feels like leather again, give it good inspection for rips, tears, stitch rotting and such. Fix as needed.

Water proofing. I like Pecards, sno seal and other waxy products. Good stuff. Neatsfoot oil is awesome stuff, but will soften the leather with too much use. Sometimes a good wipe of it will suffice for some waterproofing. (I use gallons of the stuff, but use it sparingly).

In a pinch you can wipe leather down with baby-wipes, they have oils and cleaners in them and are fairly mild.

Do PM me or email if you have any questions.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom