Lead bullet indent when seating

I ordered a Lee Universal Expanding Die so I could try some Lyman 311284 (220gr gas-checked round nose) bullets in my .30-40 Krag. I flared the case mouth just enough to accept the bullet and then I seated the bullet to 3.20". When I inspected the finish round I noticed an indent/ring on the nose left by the bullet seater (see pictures). The only thing I can figure is that the neck of the cases are very tight and the force require to seat the bullet is causing the indent. I did not have this issue when loading jacketed bullets. Any idea's?

20120317220227356.jpg

20120317220244204.jpg

im guessing the wrong shape seater or maybe the crimp is crimping before the bullet is seated ? I would start buy comparing the bullet profile and check the seating stem.

im guessing the wrong shape seater or maybe the crimp is crimping before the bullet is seated ? I would start buy comparing the bullet profile and check the seating stem.

The seating die does not crimp, I have a seperate die for the taper crimp. The bullet is wider than the seater, i.e. the edge of the seater is where that indent ring is. Should the seater be wider than the bullet? I cant image why Lee would supply a seating die that would deform lead bullets, especially in a round that some many reloaders use lead bullets in. Thanks for the advice mac.

That's the same bullet I load in the .30/40 and I don't have that problem. I use RCBS dies in that caliber just because that's what I happened to buy. I'm guessing that mac1911 is correct. I've had that problem during sizing and lubing when the top punch did't fit the bullet nose just right.

The seater die is the wrong shape. You can either swap it out for a better fitting shape for that particular profile or if you wanted you could dremel it down to remove the edge.

Maybe try a harder alloy as well as the correct seater. My guess is that the seating insert is for jacketed with more of a point but I'm not familiar with that setup.

Maybe try a harder alloy.

My guess would be this. What is the hardness of the alloy you are using? What is it composed of (i.e. lead, tin, antimony...)? If you are using pure lead than that is most likely the reason. Think of how soft that boolit would be and how easy the seating die would deform it if it was pure lead.

Back
Top Bottom