LC '67 Match Cartridges and M72 Projectiles- Fair offer to a friend?

Mountain

NES Member
A friend from my local club has some ammo and projectiles he'd like to sell me:

-10 boxes of LC 1967 Match ammo. One cartridge missing from a box. Haven't seen them in person, so not sure if factory or reloads. Boxes look pretty nice, especially for the age.
- 100 projectiles, LC M72 Match. I'm guessing 173 gr.
- (2) boxes of 20 cartridges marked S-Patronen GM 1, OJP 1961, 7.62mm. He thinks .30-06.

There's some other assorted stuff: 9 boxes Win White Box 5.56, 1 box Fed Gold Medal Match, a few blanks in .30-06 and 5.56, a couple enblocs with unknown .30-06.

I prefer him to give me a price but without that I'd like to offer a fair price for both of us. I've seen some pretty silly online pricing for vintage LC Match and would not be interested at those prices. If boxes are not sealed, there's the possibility of reloads. Any thoughts on a value for the LC cartridges and projectiles? Anyone know what is the S-Patronen stuff?

Thanks, M

Thank you.

One thing I should consider is that given all the reload projectiles there's the possibility these LC's could be reloads. I'll need to look closely and consider that as well.

Edit- Looks like that S-Patronen stuff is corrosive.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't buy someone else's reloads- definitely wouldn't shoot them. Better ways to get good brass and projectiles.

You might be able to tell if they're reloads by checking the primer crimp.

Last edited:
IMO, the LC Match has some "cool" factor to it as do the original boxes, but would be worth standard M2 ball prices to me.

Im not even sure I would even pay the current M2 ball surplus prices IF its for shooting. The PPU stuff is better IMHO anyway than any surplus M2 ball and the LC match stuff for much more than .70 per round I think your better off with the current creedmoor match ammo. Plus you get that lapua brass you like. I have a few boxes of assorted LC match ammo for "cool" factor.
I shot up about 200 rounds of LC match 30-06 and found it to be no better than M2 and I don't really think other than being slightly better at longer distances is it worth the extra price.
There is a women at the club that worked LC plant and said the only difference with the match stuff vs M2 was the head stamp and the M1 ball bullet. She claimed there was no other special "match" prep on the ammo. No special equipment no special sorting.

Add in the unkown of "reloads" then its just worth component prices to me. Now if this guy is just looking to unload it cheap and it was presented to me I might grab it. Then press him for what else he has "wheres the guns you shot LC match out of?"

Last edited:
Thanks Mac.

I think he picked all this up as an estate find. Already let him know that the unknown status of the LC ammo is a factor for me.

40 cents a round seem like a fair 'bet'? If I have to pull and reload it wouldn't be a debacle, but if factory LC it would be a great price.

"Patronen" is literally "cartridges"

I have a quantity of Hirtenberger-Patronenfabrik 7.62 NATO.

There's a thread over on CMP forums on "S-Patronen" and elsewhere... Looks like Austrian surplus, and the community doesn't necessarily favor it.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=75785

Yep, and 'S' for spitzer. Corrosive is a no for me, and not worth pulling for Berdan primed cases.

I bought a box of '69 LC really just so that the cool box could grace the reloading table. I wouldn't mind shooting it but I didn't buy it for "match" performance. It'll be regular "fun" ammo for me to someday consume.

So both buyer and seller happy w/ the prices. $5 a box for the 10 boxes of LC NM, 10 boxes of Win white box 5.56, and a box of Fed Gold Match. Only one box of each was opened to verify it was factory ammo. 10 cents per rnd for a box of 100 LC Match .30 cal projectiles and 500 SMK .223 69's.

Some other stuff tossed in the deal- some enblocs that look like they'll clean up nicely, old LC ammo on a brass stripper clip, a big bag of once fired 7mm Mag brass, some .30 and .223 cal blanks, and these:

IMG_1056.jpg

Is black AP? What's the off-red stuff?

Last edited:
So probably not a good idea at OCSA...

Think I'll check out the LC NM in the Winchester this weekend and if the combo shoots OK that will be my go-to for the next CMP.

I would be surprised if they touch off. I shot some surplus 308 tracers and out of the 50 or so rounds only about 8 actually "traced"

I would be surprised if they touch off. I shot some surplus 308 tracers and out of the 50 or so rounds only about 8 actually "traced"

I have read that tracers often need extended distances to light off, maybe a couple hundred yards.

I should try bump-firing a clip full of the tracers. An M1 will do that if you hold it like you are trying to not crush an egg. Probably will just keep for the novelty, but if I ever do try them it will be on a rainy day.

All this stuff came from a guy who passed away and had no family interested in shooting. Couple friends of mine bought stuff in bulk from his daughter, and I bought from them. The gentleman was a regular Camp Perry shooter back in the day. Judging by his ammo and reloading tastes, probably a highpower and M1 and/or Springfield shooter. I think from somewhere around Mansfield- probably someone we know may have known him.

Last edited:
After sighting in and more or less staying in the 10-ring once adjusted, took these final five shots:

IMG_1060.jpg

That's the $5 per box '67 LC Match shot from the Vermont CMP Winchester. Looks good to go. Will shoot this combo at the next Pembroke JCG match.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom