• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Keeping the flock safe: Faith leaders organize around security

Reptile

NES Member
"Gun Free Zones" declared...
AMHERST — Prompted by last month’s shooting at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, that killed 26 people, area faith leaders are organizing, assessing their security and emergency response capacity and seeking advice from law enforcement on how to best protect themselves from hate crimes and other crises.

Last week, area faith leaders met at Hampshire College with representatives from the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Massachusetts Emergency Response Management team and the U.S. attorney’s office to discuss security in houses of worship. The agencies co-sponsored the daylong event, inviting local faith leaders to attend.

“Security is much more than guns, gates and guards,” said Matthew McCann, New England regional director for the DHS’s Office of Infrastructure Protection. “When we talk security we also look at layers of collaboration, training and exercises.”

Panelists from these agencies discussed how faith leaders should deal with a range of threats including vandalism, arson, cyber and bomb threats, natural disasters and active shooter situations. They stressed the central role houses of worship play in their communities and their responsibility to protect their congregants to the best of their ability.

“I appreciated the presentation,” said the Rev. Michael McSherry, senior minister of Edwards Church in Northampton. “When you’re the leader of a faith community people put their trust in the leadership and one thing I do know about organizational leadership is that keeping people safe is a top priority.”

Continues...

Keeping the flock safe: Faith leaders organize around security

These church leaders have no concept of evil.

Instead of declaring a "gun free zone" and announcing to the world that they are sitting ducks, they would be smarter to let parishioners CCW is they can.

If evil doers knew that some people were CCW, I think they would be less inclined to attack these houses of worship.

Considering that 2017 was the worst year on church attacks - it is hard to believe that these local churches advertise their vulnerabilities so proudly.

Par for the course in the "Happy Valley".

“If I saw someone with a gun in the synagogue I would ask them to remove it from the premises,” said Rabbi Justin David of Congregation B’nai Israel in Northampton. “There is no reason to have a gun.”

How about to defend your people, Rabbi?

Below is a link with compelling testimony against Gun Free Zones:

JPFO - Suzanna Hupp - Talks to Congress

Only STUPID PEOPLE put their security in the hands of others......closed groups like Navy Seals, Army Rangers, and the like excepted.

Rabbi Justin David of Congregation B’nai Israel in Northampton needs to spend some time in Israel, along with a good ass kicking.

Well, I hate to say this, but....fine.

Thank you for posting your church and synagogue with "No Guns" and announcing you're easy targets. You make the church I go to, and therefore my family, much safer by offering yourselves as victims. You can also be statistics showing the increasing hatred toward Jews and Christians.

I'll stay at my "we don't ask" church, where the bad guy will not know if he will receive return fire.

I never want to use my firearm except at the range or hunting, and for sure I would hate to shoot in a church full of panicked parishioners. Your volunteering to need the gun you don't have increases my chance of not needing the one I carry.

Seriously, if you love someone, you should be willing to either:
1.) protect them while they eat, sleep, worship, etc., or
2.) not hinder those willing to do so responsibly.

I can't imagine attending a "no guns allowed" church in the current environment.

Seriously, if you love someone, you should be willing to either:
1.) protect them while they eat, sleep, worship, etc., or
2.) not hinder those willing to do so responsibly.

I can't imagine attending a "no guns allowed" church in the current environment.
Total opposite of what they should be espousing. How to make a soft target even softer. Morons.

Maybe they should back border security and keeping those that want to kill us out of our country instead of trying to convince us that disarming us is what will keep us safer!

“The consensus among faith leaders at the meeting, according to some who attended, was that most oppose firearms in places of worship, both by permit-holding members and hired security teams.”

As long as church members are informed that there is not armed security, everyone is allowed to chose to walk away or stay.

Back
Top Bottom