It works!!

So earlier this week I plugged in my old NCX-5. Everything lit up but I couldnt hear anything and the power supply was humming a little. I read that it was the capacitors in the power supply. Looked at them but they dont match the schematic. I was getting ready to box it up to bring up to a guy to look at when I figured I would try to plug external speakers in. Plugged them in and I heard a guy talking from PA on 80 meters and a lot of other people too. The built in speaker is broken!!! Now I need a real antenna and a microphone. The local club meets next week and as luck would have it they are having a speaker about antennas. NOw I need to hit Ebay for a microphone and I think I will be in business!! I cant wait to talk to someone. Wife now thinks I am a super dork.

Wife now thinks I am a super dork.
Tell her this is all part of your disaster prepardness plan. When all infrastructure fails, the hams will still be talking.

If the budget it tight I suggest a simple random length long-wire antenna. I have 100' of 14awg running from the house to a tree with the coax feed-line's shield connected to an 8' ground rod. I can tune 80-10 with a manual tuner. Its performance is not quite as good as a mono-band dipole and certainly not as good as a yagi, but I get all bands for cheap and the antenna is essentially invisible.

Thats great. We can probably work 80 from ME to MA. Grab a mic and let's go!

Tell her this is all part of your disaster prepardness plan. When all infrastructure fails, the hams will still be talking.

If the budget it tight I suggest a simple random length long-wire antenna. I have 100' of 14awg running from the house to a tree with the coax feed-line's shield connected to an 8' ground rod. I can tune 80-10 with a manual tuner. Its performance is not quite as good as a mono-band dipole and certainly not as good as a yagi, but I get all bands for cheap and the antenna is essentially invisible.

Thats what I told her. She fears yet another hobby. I dont have a tuner. Will add that to the list. I am very interested in this presentation next week about antennas and hope to rig something up soon.

In a month is a good ham flea in Marlborough. That's where I got my first rig and power supply. Just be a little careful. Hams are just like anyone else and may try to missrepresent something.

http://www.qsl.net/n1em/

Time: 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
General Admission: $5.00
VEC Exams: 9:00 AM
Talk In: MMRA 147.27+ (pl 146.2)
449.925- (pl 88.5)

I still have three antenna's that I need to get up...I suck. I've been sitting on them for almost a year...but I just don't know how to get one fo them up...

I need some antenna hanging skilz from someone to help me figure out how to run the wires in my yard so it will work. I'm about to just lay it across the yard now that it's cold and the kids won't be playing much outside.

I still have three antenna's that I need to get up...I suck. I've been sitting on them for almost a year...but I just don't know how to get one fo them up...

I need some antenna hanging skilz from someone to help me figure out how to run the wires in my yard so it will work. I'm about to just lay it across the yard now that it's cold and the kids won't be playing much outside.

Ummm..... You have my number, no excuse! Give me a call.

Ummm..... You have my number, no excuse! Give me a call.

Yea, true. But I hate bothering you as you're not close...and I feel like a dink. But OK...maybe next weekend if you're around? I JUST got a new phone from work...so I have to make sure that I still have you in my phone.

ETA: I'm not seeing you...can you pm me your number again?

I'm guilty here. I keep offering to help and then I never get down there. HOw many times did we wimp out last year because of the deep snow??

Back
Top Bottom