Issues with 44 Mag ammo in Ruger carbine

Went and shot my Ruger 44 mag carbine today.

Ended up with two cases that split near the base:
2011-05-08_15-36-49_681.jpg

Only fired maybe 20 rounds total. Both cases that split were from a yellow box of: UMC (Remington) 44 mag 240 grain lead (med loading). Headstamp is "R . P 44 REM MAG"

This load will not cycle the rifle. I assume that is because it is a medium loading. It would eject the cases only about a foot or two and would short cycle, not picking up the next round or holding the bolt open after the last shot. The box is 20 years old and has been sitting in my basement in a sealed ammo can for 20 years. Also, the rifle was cleaned and oiled before shooting but I may have left some residual CLP in the bore and chamber. Not soaking wet but I usually try to get the chamber dry and forgot to wipe out the chamber after oiling the bore.

I shot about 8 lead soft point jacekted rounds that functioned properly. These were from a new box of Remington. Cases ejected about 7-8 feet and cycled reliably.

Any thoughts on the problem? Thanks

I want to end up reloading for this carbine as it gives me an excuse to get a set of 44 dies and then an excuse to buy a 44 mag handgun....

Last edited:
Those were probably caused by a wet chamber. Your rifle is a straight blowback. The case is supposed to expand, grab the walls of the chamber, hold on until the pressure drops, then relax while there's still enough residual pressure to allow the bolt to cycle.

It the chamber is wet, the cases won't grab right, the bolt opens prematurely, the case blows out, and you get what happened here.

Back
Top Bottom