Is there a reference somewhere for optimum velocities for reloads?

I've tried some Google kung fu and find little help. I mean outside of the occasional caliber reference with folks personal opinions.

I bought a chronograph a few months ago. I have only used it a couple times. To date with some 30-06 reloads and today with 38 Special reloads. In both cases I had little idea about what I was doing. I mean I can measure and understand what my reloads are moving at and seeing the standard deviation is nice to understand.

I guess I just assumed there would be a little more scientific method to it with some solid references. I do not see it. Right now, for example, I read on a forum from a guy in Tennessee that 38 Specials running 650 fps is pretty good and a standard deviation below 40 is pretty good.

Is there any book or reference that someone can recommend where I can educate myself?

Hornady 7th manual usually has a recomendation on best powder bullet combination "they" tested. Lyman cast manual also highlights their most accurate loads.
It comes down to testing your gun,powder,bullet combo. I read several negative reviews of TrailBoss used in reduced rifle loads. Only to find that my mosin really likes them?
I can tell you my S&W 1911 doesnt care much for loads much below the high 700s, nor does it do will with lymans "best" 200gn bullet and bulls eye powder at the high end of the data ? actually my 1911 likes cast bullets loaded with clays powder @ 825fps best out of what I have tried so far.

My favorite 1911 load is a 200 gr swc bullet with WW 231 and a velocity of about 875 fps. I don't like Clays at all. Not trying to start a debate, just illustrating the differences of opinion you will encounter.

You have all of the tools you need. Now you have to develop the best loads for your guns. Reference manuals are a good place to start, but you have to do the load development yourself.

My favorite 1911 load is a 200 gr swc bullet with WW 231 and a velocity of about 875 fps. I don't like Clays at all. Not trying to start a debate, just illustrating the differences of opinion you will encounter.

You have all of the tools you need. Now you have to develop the best loads for your guns. Reference manuals are a good place to start, but you have to do the load development yourself.

Thanks Gammon. It sounds like it is another one of those cases of working out what is best for your firearm. I see the velocities in the reference manuals I have and it does get me in the ball park. Most times though I do not have the exact bullet they are describing, but the same weight. Then I fudge the COAL cause I am not 100% sure what it should be. Then the velocity I see is not what I think it should be. But, the difference could also be the primers I am using or maybe the difference head stamped brass I use. I am not sure. I'll keep working things and gain some experience. The chronograph just adds a whole new dimension to reloading.

I like to use the crony for 2 things
1. make sure im in the ball park of what the data says
2. make sure my loads are consistent.

Back
Top Bottom