Is all .22 ammo this dirty?

Wow, now that I've seen that I should go clean my 22.

I've got a ruger 10/22 Take down, with at least that many rounds through it, maybe more.

Never been cleaned. Still runs like a top, and I've even peered into the thing and didn't see a need to clean it.

Maybe if I get bored enough with election coverage I'll grab it and break it down.

Screw it take that time and go shooting....seriously if you do not over lube a 22 semi it can go a long long time with out a "cleaning".
I had a nylon 66 that we never lubed other than a wipe with the gun rack on steel parts for rust prevention. That gun never got cleaned....countless rounds through it...only time it jammed was with rem golden turds.
I also have a remington 552 not only has it not been "cleaned" in many years it will cycle 22shorts with ease....
Along with long and long rifle.
There's no reason now after a 130 years of 22lr the guns can't cycle shorts long or long rifle with out issue. There really has not been any big innovations in the gun powder industry . 22 is dirty and cheap some more than others. I think the manufactures of yesterday designed better 22s pre 1950.

Now up to 2,045rnd with no cleaning or additional lubrication. I know....its "nil" for a .22. [wink] Just updating the thread. Only failures seem to be ammo related. Still only using Federal Automatch 325rnd bulk packs.

Last edited:
Now up to 2,045rnd with no cleaning or additional lubrication. I know....its "nil" for a .22. �� Just updating the thread. Only failures seem to be ammo related. Still only using Federal Automatch 325rnd bulk packs.

How does the gun compare in cleanliness now vs then?

Stop using grease to lube your 22. They just require a tiny bit of oil

I use TW25B on all my pistols because oil runs off. A thin layer of grease is applied to the rails on the frame only and then I work the slide back and forth. Thats it...Its not over lubrication by any means. This Federal Automatch ammo, I believe, is very dirty/smokey stuff.

I think some of you guys are under the impression that I am applying grease to everything on the gun and glopping it on there. [thinking]

Last edited:
image_zpsqyqhwsr9.jpeg

image_zpsgkd8wi0w.jpeg

image_zps63ajaijb.jpeg

image_zpsy8qiewy7.jpeg

I only shoot Federal Automatch, 325rd bulk pack thru this Ruger SR22. The pics you see are with ~875rd through it without cleaning. I only put a very thin layer of Tw25b on the frame rails and a little bit on the slide rails. I know .22 is generally a dirty cartridge but this seems kinda nuts! Looks like my 8yo will be cleaning this very soon as he shoots this the most.

image_zpsnlak4uoe.jpeg

image_zpspyqpkrt6.jpeg

image_zpsbwxredss.jpeg

image_zpsxhb6zmde.jpeg

That's kinda like buying a car and changing the oil ONCE a year.

You should be taking care of your firearm and cleaning it at least every 300-400 rounds I.M.H.O.

That's kinda like buying a car and changing the oil ONCE a year.

You should be taking care of your firearm and cleaning it at least every 300-400 rounds I.M.H.O.

Many newer cars are going a year between oil changes.... 8-12k miles.
I can't see cleaning a 22 every 300 rounds....to much time cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom