Is 5.2gr PP too little for .40 S&W?

5.2gr Power Pistol with 180gr FMJ bullet, 1.130" COL. I'm not of need of hot ammo. Just want to make sure I don't make a big batch and find problems. I've shot almost 100 so far, no problems. I think 5.2gr is basically the starting load- depending on the manual you read. Eventually I'll be using Berrys 180gr plated.

Thanks!

I've used the Berry 180s for my .40, in both the Glock and Sig. They work well in either with any reasonable load of Unique or Bullseye. I'm currently using a load right midway betweeen starting and max of Bullseye and it works the gun without a problem. Accuracy is about the same as WWB.

The only way to really know what your doing is to chrono your ammo. Reliable chronos are available for less than $100. Buy one.

40 SW

I just loaded up 40 SW with 7.4G of PP under 155G Rainer plated bullets. WSP primers..OAL 1.11 or so. This same load at 7.8 of PP was stout... but no signs of overpressure.......Best PS I much prefer 10MM (big primers...big power)

The only way to really know what your doing is to chrono your ammo. Reliable chronos are available for less than $100. Buy one.

Well... let me ask this question. What would a chrono really tell me? It's obvious that it will tell me the velocity of the bullets.... but is there a recommended minimum? I'm looking for a reasonable load that works reliably- not too concerned about speed.

With a chrono you get objective data that you can transfer from load to load. What if tomorrow you ran out of PP and all you could get was Titegroup? Knowing what your PP load was pushing for fps would give you a reference point for duplicating it. The chrono ties the data to what your specific gun, barrel, and chamber produce from that chrono on that day, under those conditions. In terms of reliabilty, you could come up with an amount of powder that you see makes your gun work but I rather know the velocity or power factor instead, that's more transferable. Powder lots can change, weather effects stuff, barrels get faster. The chrono can provide the feedback to figure that crap out. Knowing that stuff can only help.

Well... let me ask this question. What would a chrono really tell me? It's obvious that it will tell me the velocity of the bullets.... but is there a recommended minimum? I'm looking for a reasonable load that works reliably- not too concerned about speed.

You mentioned shooting in a match. The chrono will tell you if you're major or minor if it is a USPSA match.

Back
Top Bottom