• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ireland hits record gun ownership, with one in eight households now armed

mikeyp

NES Member
Kind of shocked by this, of course they see it as an issue(no stats provided)

There are close to a quarter of a million legally held firearms across the country, figures show, amid concerns of a rise in these weapons being used in murder-suicides.

There are currently 234,000 firearm certificates in circulation, according to Garda Headquarters. This equates to one in eight households in Ireland possessing a legally held firearm.

There is rising concern among gardaí and within the Government over the number of legally held guns being used in tragic incidents.

but they're all shotguns
Fishing boat loads of AR-18s , AR-180s and FALs on the border with Northern Ireland, and I imagine a vast quantity of SMLEs walked off with from various points in history in the rest of the Republic. Not sure if many No4s made it into public hands, but I'd imagine those likely go surplused as hunting rifles similar to Canada.

the collective number of handguns owned by NES'rs exceeds the legally held handguns in the Irish Republic.

I hate to speak badly of my fellow citizens, but after what the British Empire did to the Irish people, you'd think they would know better than to be defenseless against tyranny.

I hate to speak badly of my fellow citizens, but after what the British Empire did to the Irish people, you'd think they would know better than to be defenseless against tyranny.
this-time-for-sure.jpg

There are no legal guns owned by citizens of Northern Ireland that part of the country is in British control and British law. Southern Ireland is a different story. When I was in Ireland in Galway City there were two gun stores with shotguns, rifles, revolvers and pistols for sale. You can get a firearms licence in Southern Ireland.

There are no legal guns owned by citizens of Northern Ireland that part of the country is in British control and British law. Southern Ireland is a different story. When I was in Ireland in Galway City there were two gun stores with shotguns, rifles, revolvers and pistols for sale. You can get a firearms licence in Southern Ireland.

Plenty of people have guns in Northern Ireland. It's one of the only parts of the UK where you can still legally own handguns.

Northern Ireland has less restrictive gun laws than the rest of great britain due to the good Friday agreement that authorized some home rule and the ability to pass their own laws. You can absolutely own guns legally in Northern Ireland. Not many do......but it is definitely possible. I was curiose ans researched it years ago but.....Wiki screen shot below.

Screenshot_20210927-162954_Chrome.jpg

"Let's not forget the Tommy guns smuggled into Ireland in the 1920s . . ."

And the M60's stolen from the Danvers Armory in the late 70's/80's and smuggled to the IRA with help from Whitey Bulger if I remember correctly. Inoperable? Hardly! bolts are always stored separately from M16's.

"An armory employee came into work on Monday morning and discovered the robbery, which occurred sometime over the preceding weekend. Among the trove of weapons taken were 92 M16 rifles, 7 large M60 belt-fed machine guns, a .45 caliber pistol, two grenade launchers, several flak jackets, infrared binoculars, and a “Redeye” missile launcher. It was enough to outfit a small army."

"Originally, Federal authorities noted that the firing pins for the weapons were not taken by the robbers, and therefore declared the guns “useless.” As a precaution, the firing pins were stored separately at Danvers Police Station. But, the guns were far from useless." Bullshit!

The IRA had many M16s from Danvers and elsewhere, but the larger M60 machine guns were a boon to the insurgents. The enormous weapons looked menacing and were more powerful than what the British soldiers typically carried. The Danvers M60s were first displayed in January 1978 during a commemoration in Derry to mark the anniversary of British paratroopers killing unarmed civilians on “Bloody Sunday,” and the weapons were met with cheers by the crowds. After this unveiling, a Northern Ireland newspaper headline blared: “I.R.A. IN POSSESSION OF NEW AMERICAN SUPER WEAPON.”

An IRA gunman with an M60 machine gun on the streets of the Bogside at a Bloody Sunday commemoration in January 1978

(Picture from January 1978 when the IRA first revealed the M60s from Danvers. Source: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/c...y-ira-for-years-it-was-dictatorship-1-6797214)

These large weapons were first used in 1978, when British soldiers on patrol were fired upon. Later that year, the British Army recovered two M60s from the IRA that came from the Danvers Armory. More of the weapons surfaced in 1979 during a roadside bomb ambush that killed 18 British soldiers – the single deadliest incident of the conflict. The IRA also claimed that it used a Danvers M60 machine gun to shoot down a British Army helicopter.

The story returned to Massachusetts in April, 1980 when firefighters in Walpole responded to a house fire. They entered an empty house and found a burning chair next to two barrels full of M16s. It appeared as though the fire was deliberately set to destroy the weapons. The FBI and the ATF recovered 46 M16s, and later the owner of the house, Charles A. Gallant Jr., was arrested and charged with possessing the stolen weapons from the Danvers Armory, though he was not involved in the robbery itself.

Is this some trick of photography, like backwards mirror reflection or some weird thing? Or has this guy just not found out yet that the 60 feeds left to right.

12A7527F-F4DD-4A00-87ED-D46F365D6285.jpeg

nice pig...
I hated the pig, too heavy and a PIA to clean. I got stuck carrying one on a training night mission to assault a bridge. Humped the MFer for hours thru the woods with blank adapter and ammo, finally arrived at objective, set up in overwatch position to hose down bridge and first round blew off blank adapter which turned it into a single shot machine gun. Since it was pitch dark took a few minutes to figure out what happened. [rofl] I was SOOO pissed!

I remember another story of the RUC(Royal Ulster Constabulary) surrounding a house in Northern Ireland and when they charged up the stairs an IRA Soldier opened up with one of the Danvers M60's and blew away the first 2 Cops. OWWW!

Last edited:
Is this some trick of photography, like backwards mirror reflection or some weird thing? Or has this guy just not found out yet that the 60 feeds left to right.

View attachment 613683
It appears to be a mirrored photo. Note the sling mount on the front of the handguard, which I THINK is only on the left side of it.

Not sure, not overly familiar with the M60, we had M240's.

It appears to be a mirrored photo. Note the sling mount on the front of the handguard, which I THINK is only on the left side of it.

Not sure, not overly familiar with the M60, we had M240's.
Ya pretty sure you’re right. It’s some kind of photography voodoo. It’s hard to see fine detail in that pic but it also appears the ammo ‘holder’
04CAD97A-7A6D-42FB-85FF-EE6DC08656C5.jpeg
that attaches to the feed tray is on the wrong side in the pic, which would then put that part and the belt on the correct side without the voodoo being involved.

I also saw these two pics and it sealed the question;

5064CC79-1888-4E0F-B3C0-694F4E433F1C.jpeg 98EE3775-E965-4AE0-960F-B8FD21FBFE7E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom