IPSC Pistol Options

I have been toying around with the idea of getting a 1911. It is the most comfortable pistol to me that I have yet to shoot. I am really leaning towards a Kimber Custom II Target in stainless. Kimbers seem to be the best value for the money around and I generally like to get the right piece of equipment once.

In addition to fulfilling its role as a range queen I would like to be able to use this for an occasional IPSC match. There are local matches that are fairly frequent and I think it would be a nice change of pace from standing on the firing line making holes in paper. My understanding is that I would be best placed in single stack and that I could be fairly competitive.

This was all fairly settled in my head today until I walked into my local shop and he pulled out a beautiful bull barrel stainless Caspian. It is used and only about a hundred bucks more than the Kimber would be. Would this pistol be acceptable for my inteded use. I was just worried that not being a production pistol it would put me into open class or something

I.m not sure if that is single stack legal with the bull barrel. it could be. but is certainly L-10 legal and would be competitive. I would get it

It is just such a beautiful piece of Vermont craftsman ship. I feel like I would regret not picking it up at $950. That's a little more than I really wanted to spend but ... well thats just par for me.

-Dustin

This was all fairly settled in my head today until I walked into my local shop and he pulled out a beautiful bull barrel stainless Caspian.
Caspian does not make complete guns so this unit could range from junk to wonderful, depending on who built it.

Limited 10 is more forgiving to shoot then SS. The extra 2 rounds do make a big difference. it's a great class to start in. don't worry about getting any race gear, just use what you have.

The bull barrel is only good for USPSA L-10
Look for a bushing barrel, you can use in L-10, Single stack & IDPA CDP or ESP
You'll be limiting your options w/ a bull barrel................

I think Limited 10 would be a better place to start. The reason is having the extra 2 rounds gives you a little more forgiveness and may make stage planning much easier. You should find out from the shop what they have for a return policy on their guns is. I say this because as Rob mentioned the gun could be either awesome or junk. Try finding out if they know who built the gun. USPSA is a great game and is so much fun!!!

Shooting L10 will give you more options for your gun as well.

Thanks guys!! This actually takes allot of pressure off. I was worried about not letting this deal pass me by. I haven't done my usual pile of research prior to an investment. I think I will put this one back on hold and plan on heading up and watching my first IPSC event. That will give me the opportunity to look around, see what the others are running and see where there will be a decent field.

I really like the idea of keeping my money local but I guess I have to do more research on the actual builder. I didn't realize that Caspian didn't build any of their products. I see this going like most of my purchases... starting out wanting a base model and I end up getting something well beyond. A couple months ago i decided to get an AR15. Now i have a Rock River NM. :)

Thanks again guys!
-Dustin

I went with a SW1911 base model when I started USPSA, shooting L-10. I upgraded the gun as I went along, ended up with a magwell, fiber optic front sight and ambi safety. The gun shot great and served me well.

If you live south of boston, I run an IPSC practice on Friday nights, Harvard and Hopkington run one on Wed. night, its a great way to get started

Be careful nitsuD,
I see a custom STI Edge in your future. Forget single stack and go for a wide body 2011 (see PistolPete's posts for pics). Of course, the entry level there is around $1800 and it goes up fast. Normally, this is where I'd suggest you get a Glock, but it seems you are well past that and want a 19ll type pistol. You are wise to check out a match first. You will see some truly awesome guns and could run into someone willing to part with a fine gun at a very reasonable cost so they can "upgrade". That's your best bet at getting a good deal on a used gun.
-Cuz.

Dustin,

Another great option might be a Para P16.40. It's a double stack .40 caliber 1911. Some people don't like the Paras because some of their internals need to be replaced as they wear out somewhat quickly. However, for the money you get a ton of gun. Plus, if you can get a preban with mags you have even more options. You can shoot Limited or Limited 10. If your heart is set on a 1911 this could be a great option.

I encourage you to come to a match and see what we're shooting. Most guys are shooting double stack 1911's such as STI's or SVI's. A lot of guys shoot Paras, Glocks, and M&P's etc. You don't have to spend a ton of money to enjoy this game. A $400 Glock with a few mags is really all you need.

You should try a practice match that we run on Wed. nights at Harvard if you're avail. I"m sure you already own a gun that would work for this game to at least try it out. I did the opposite when I got into the game and bought an expense SVI before even shooting a match.

Pete

Whoa! Did I just recommend an STI within seconds of Pete recommending a Glock??? What's up with that?

Supermoto, where are you running practices on Friday nights?

-Cuz.

Ames in Easton. come on up

Is that the Ames Rifle & Pistol Club in North Easton, MA?
Damn, it's a bit too far for me on a work night. I'd have to go from Newport, RI to Seekonk, to Easton. Never happen on a Friday in traffic. Thanks anyway.

-Cuz.

Whoa! Did I just recommend an STI within seconds of Pete recommending a Glock??? What's up with that?
-Cuz.

Talk about polar opposites.... HAHA That's way too funny... I may have a limited gun I would be willing to sell. Hmmmm....

Where is it that you guys are practicing? I'm up in northern Vermont.

The only full size hand gun I have right now is a S&W 699 that my grandfather loaned me. The extractor is chipped right now so it throws brass directly at my forehead when it doesn't jam. S&W is closed so I will be sending it down for some TLC mid month. Besides that it feels awkward in my hands. Despite being smaller and only 9mm it seems like it is twice the size and harder to handle than the kimber 1911 I have shot and loved.

There is a group, Green Mountain Practical Shooters, that is active up this way and I'm sure I can get some direction from those boys on where I should be looking.

I'm glad there is such a friendly active community around shooting sports. It seems like I have finally stumbled into the perfect hobby.

-Dustin

There is a group, Green Mountain Practical Shooters, that is active up this way and I'm sure I can get some direction from those boys on where I should be looking.

I'm glad there is such a friendly active community around shooting sports. It seems like I have finally stumbled into the perfect hobby.

-Dustin

The Green Mountain shooters are great guys, show up to a match, they will take care of you

Where is it that you guys are practicing? I'm up in northern Vermont.

The only full size hand gun I have right now is a S&W 699 that my grandfather loaned me. The extractor is chipped right now so it throws brass directly at my forehead when it doesn't jam. S&W is closed so I will be sending it down for some TLC mid month. Besides that it feels awkward in my hands. Despite being smaller and only 9mm it seems like it is twice the size and harder to handle than the kimber 1911 I have shot and loved.

-Dustin

If you have any problem with the Caspian, take it to George Piper in Johnson http://pipercustom.com/piper_custom_gunsmithing.htm

I ended up going with the Caspian. I didn't really intend to buy a pistol last night, just went down to the shop to admire it. They offered me twelve hundred out the door and I guess I got a little soft. For about a hundred and fifty bucks more than a Kimber Custom II Stainless I walked out with a Stainless Caspian with beautiful wood grips, Front strap checkering, front and rear serations, bull barrel, extended mag well, light crisp aluminum trigger, and an action that slides like butter.

I can't wait till tomorrow morning. I have a feeling I will be at the range sitting in my car waiting for them to open at eight.

-Dustin

I went with a SW1911 base model when I started USPSA, shooting L-10. I upgraded the gun as I went along, ended up with a magwell, fiber optic front sight and ambi safety. The gun shot great and served me well.

If you live south of boston, I run an IPSC practice on Friday nights, Harvard and Hopkington run one on Wed. night, its a great way to get started

Where do you run your practice? I would like to check it out.

thanks
bill

Back
Top Bottom