• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Intro To Action Pistol Shooting Seminar – April 12, 2008

This is a FREE seminar, covering the basics of action pistol shooting. If you've ever thought about trying IDPA or USPSA but didn't know how, this is the program for you. There will be both classroom presentations and range exercises. This program is designed for the person who has never shot a match before but wants to get started.

Topics covered will include: safety, what do you do when you show up at a match, range commands, scoring (both IDPA and USPSA), selected rules, divisions and equipment, basic shooting, drawing from a holster, movement, etc.

Where: Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford (Dartmouth, MA)
When: Saturday, April 12, 2008 – 9am start (please be arrive by 8:30am)

We’ll start at 9am in the main clubhouse for a couple hours and then head to the ranges. The group will split in half. Each group will spend about 1.5 hours shooting IDPA then switch ranges and spend about 1.5 hours shooting USPSA (or vice versa). We should be done by 2pm.

What should you bring? A safe and reliable semi-auto pistol or double action revolver, a holster for it, ammo, extra magazines or speed loaders/moon clips and something to carry them in. You will also need eye and ear protection as well as a ball cap.

For questions or more info, contact Dave at [email protected]

If you brought 150 rounds, that will be more than enough. We won't shoot that much, but you never know.

The only restrictions on ammo are no armor piecing or incendiary/tracers. We're not worried about power factor or anything, although we will explain what the different power factors are.

Really you just want quality ammo that will be reliable. It’s tough to learn something new when you’re distracted by ammo problems.

David,
I'd like to help SO, RO, set up and/or taked down if you need help.

jkelly

Is there a fee for this program?

From the FIRST paragraph of the OP:

This is a FREE seminar,
[rolleyes]

Having helped out at the similar seminars conducted by the Hopkinton shooters, I recommend these courses for those who are interested in shooting action pistol, but don't want to just show up at a match.

They are also a lot of fun and a good way to meet fellow novitiates.

Well I attended this fine event, learned a lot and had a great time! I appreciate the time Dave and his team took out of their weekend to help some noobs get into the game. They have a great facility and if you were thinking of going and didn't, you missed out.

Thanks all!

Andy

The turn out was a little light - about 8 folks. I'm sure the weather scared a few off. It chased Dave and I off the range while we were doing setup at 7am - I like a challenge as much as the next guy but dodging lighting bolts is a bit much. But after that, by the time we started the seminar, it was actually pretty nice - like sunshine nice. The folks that came did really well and I expect to see them at the range in the future. There were 4 or 5 that came and shot the IDPA Classifier today. It was good to meet a few NES'ers.

Whoop, Whoop, Noob Alert!!! Whoop Whoop...

Hi All, well this looks like it would have been exactly what I was looking for (Me= total noob looking to find out more about the different types of competitive action shooting) but unfortunately, I stumbled across it a few days late! [crying]

I feel a little silly asking this so soon after the last event but, when's the next one? Alternately, are these sorts of "intro to" events common/easy to find for someone willing to put a bit of effort into looking? Finally, I've read all the stickies and several posts that indirectly mention the IDPA and USPSA etc, and I've checked out both websites, but I have a question for all of you who regularly compete: Which of these leagues or styles is easier on the wallet. No, nothing fun is cheap, I know, but relatively speaking which "requires" the least investment and annual cost?

Thanks for your time and attention. We all gotta start somewhere and I figure this here's the place. [smile]

How they are on the wallet is up to you. The investment could be the same, since the guns and holsters used in various divisions of IDPA and those in Production, SingleStack, and Limited10 of USPSA could potentially be the same in both sports. For either one, you could spend thousands on a custom 1911 or a few hundred on a Glock 17, and still have a blast playing the game.

In USPSA, you don't have to join to shoot matches, but your classification won't be generated and you can't shoot "majors".

I believe, IDPA allows only one match before you are supposed to join. Clubs might bend that rule though.

For USPSA go here:
Northeast Section
For IDPA I guess you go here:
What, no IDPA this weekend?

How they are on the wallet is up to you. The investment could be the same, since the guns and holsters used in various divisions of IDPA and those in Production, SingleStack, and Limited10 of USPSA could potentially be the same in both sports. For either one, you could spend thousands on a custom 1911 or a few hundred on a Glock 17, and still have a blast playing the game.

In USPSA, you don't have to join to shoot matches, but your classification won't be generated and you can't shoot "majors".

I believe, IDPA allows only one match before you are supposed to join. Clubs might bend that rule though.

For USPSA go here:
Northeast Section

THank you.

For USPSA go here:
Northeast Section

All great points. I find that after the initial investment the biggest expense will be ammo. I shoot Single Stack in USPSA (just started) and CDP in IDPA with the same equipment. You can spend a ton on ammo but dry fire excercises are cheap! [wink]

I think the cost will be the same or similiar for each sport. You should decide on which sport you would prefer to shoot and look further into that. I'm a USPSA shooter and love the game. I'm not looking into what is practical etc for the real world I'm looking at having the most fun while shooting. USPSA open division gives me the best option for this. HOwever, if you're looking more at tactics then IDPA might be for you. From my experience USPSA has fewer rules and regulations so it might be easier to start with.

Pete

From my experience USPSA has fewer rules and regulations so it might be easier to start with.

I don't see it that way and I enjoy both. In IDPA you need to use cover when it's available, in USPSA you don't use "cover" the same way but you have "boxes". In USPSA the penalties for not shooting from the appropriate spot means 10 points down for each shot, in IDPA it's a single procedural per stage... although IDPA does require "orders" for shooting. USPSA lets you drop partially loaded mags when ever you want- IDPA penalizes you for this.

Either way- GO TO THIS... you won't regret it for a second. They're both fun games!!

Back
Top Bottom