interesting article - feed Family of 4 for year <$300

167# dry, let's go bug-f**k nuts and call it 500 pounds wet. 4 people. 1 year. That's 1.4 pounds of food a day to feed 4 people. Maybe 2200 calories a day to feed 4 people. hikerlt, your analytical skills are lacking. But of course you kind of covered your ass with the "interesting" comment.

On another tack, soon, very soon, I'll be posting an article on how to feed a family of 12 just on the sustainable harvest of pine cones of 5 acres. You can broil, roast, grill or make soup and a delicious, holistic tea if you add clover into the mix. And here's the best part, but for the RE taxes, there's no money outlay to speak of.

It sounds like a good start. You can get fancy and call it soup, but it's what most people start with: rice and beans. I think the author of that articles math might be a little off, as I don't feel that you could feed four people for a year with that much food.....not without adding a fairly significant amount of scavenged stuff to it. The soup itself sounds good. I might make a batch of it to try out.

I can't feed a family of two for $300, twice a month. Though it does seem that we hit $100 and barely have any food in the bags after "non edible" purchases at the grocery store.

Math's off, as others stated. I'd increase the proportion of split peas. Rice might provide bulk calories but satiation is, in my opinion, just as important. Make sure the soup comes to a full boil for a 10 minutes to take care of the toxins in the red kidney beans (not lethal to my knowledge...but plays hell with your GI tract).

167# dry, let's go bug-f**k nuts and call it 500 pounds wet. 4 people. 1 year. That's 1.4 pounds of food a day to feed 4 people. Maybe 2200 calories a day to feed 4 people. hikerlt, your analytical skills are lacking. But of course you kind of covered your ass with the "interesting" comment.

The page seems to indirectly suggest the described stored food is a "base" for a stew or soup (in this case, title of page is misleading).
Making your bean soup
Add 6-7 quarts of water. Add bouillon or salt to taste. Then add any other meats, vegetables, potatoes or seasonings you have on hand.

The dried foods in the linked article (below) contain 269,000 calories. So I think the author probably meant: Feed a family of 4 for 1 month, for less than $300

90 lbs. of white rice
22 lbs. of kidney beans
22 lbs. of barley
22 lbs. of yellow lentils
5.5 lbs. of split green peas
5.5 lbs. of garbanzo beans

I've been analyzing this stuff for a while - don't ask me why, some kind of OCD - and the bottom line is you can probably eat for $1 per 1,000 calories without going crazy. A family of four needs about 8,000 calories a day, more if anyone is doing physical work, so a minimum of about 2.9 million calories a year. At $1 per 1,000 calories the cost of a one year food supply would be about $2,900.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom