• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interest in mini-Appleseed monthly practice rifle shoots in Harvard, MA?

I'm in the process of getting a monthly mini-Appleseed program started at my club (Harvard) in MA and trying to gauge interest. I've talked to some other people at the club and response seems to be positive so far.

It's basic rifle practice/training for all ages and all rifles. More info at the end of the post.

If I'm allowed to follow the model other shooting groups use at Harvard (with amazing success for cowboy, action, biathalon, and other types of shooting) there will be no fees and no membership requirement for participating in practice shoots. I want to start with a once-a-month shoot (Xst Xday of the month sort of thing) and grow from there.

Please post any questions below. And post if you'd be interested, with maybe a little detail on how often you could imagine yourself making it, what days/times are good for you, where your rifle skills are currently at, and whether or not you're currently a Harvard member. I plan to bring it up at the 3/1 board meeting so if you're already a member and could come back me up on it either in person or in writing that would be hugely appreciated.

If this does interest you but the location is non-optimal maybe we can carpool from Boston. Or if you know a range somewhere else that would be amicable to the program, let me know and I'd be happy to help there too.

Info:
--------------------------------------------------------
What is Appleseed:
Appleseed is a grass roots program popping up all over the country started by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (www.rwva.org). The basic premise is that the health of the Second Amendment (and the country) is directly proportional to the number of active Riflemen and Riflewomen in it. Mini-Appleseed events (like this one) are basically groups getting together on their own and shooting. Full-scale Appleseed events (like what will be happening in Hartford, CT on 4/21 and 4/22) are weekend long shoots where RWVA national instructors will travel to a location and anywhere from dozens to hundreds of shooters will come to learn from them. The program has been around for a little bit over a year now, and ~1000 people have come to appleseed events so far. This year's calendar is already packed with events almost every weekend somewhere around the country.

What do we shoot:
I like to explain appleseed to other shooters as an entry level version of NRA High Power rifle -- less gear, less distance, less money, but building almost all of the same skills. It's a Junior Varsity to High Power's Varsity (living happily together) The standard course of fire is the Army Qualification Test (AQT) on scaled targets at 25 meters (simulating 100, 200, 300, 400 meter targets) in standing, sitting/kneeling and prone positions. Scoring 200 out of 250 for an "expert" Rifleman score is the basic level of proficiency we're shooting for (~4MOA, or 1" at 25 yards or 4" at 100 yards). When space, time, and skill allow we shoot long range too, but the bulk of practice is done at 25 meters.

What equipment do we use:
The single requirement is any safe, working rifle (bolt/semi/whatever) in any caliber (22lr to 30.06+) that'll reach 25 meters. If I were to suggest a rifle to get the most out of the program, it would be semiauto, mag-fed (10 round mags are fine) with iron sights but if you have something other than that, the program will bend for you. In addition, you might want to bring whatever you need to be comfortable in prone (mat/carpet/tarp and some elbow protection)

Who am I:
I'm just a guy who likes to shoot rifles. I've been to some appleseeds and high power shoots. I'm not an instructor (I don't even shoot the Rifleman score every time yet) but plan to be within a couple months of this starting. I would be out shooting/practicing a whole lot more if I made some time for it and there were some more people to do it with. I personally know there are a bunch of other people on the board in the same boat so let's all get together and really get to know our rifles. Even if there is no instructor around, we can still help each other out through observation, as the steps to firing a shot are simple (but not necessarily easy). Besides, it probably wouldn't take much more than beer and pizza to get some of the resident HP Masters around here to come whip us into shape.

I could be interested and could probably make it once, maybe twice, a month. I'm not a member of Harvard and would be considered a newby (90 rounds through my .223 SU-16, plus some .22 target rifle shooting +25 years ago). Where is the Harvard club located?

Thanks.

Great. Thanks guys. Harvard Sportsmen's Club is right around the intersection of route 2 and route 495.

For detailed directions and a map of the facilities, the club website is here.

I could do this at least once per month.

I'm not a member of the Harvard club, weekends would be better for me. Time of event is flexible. I do have a preference for optics. I have a couple of rifles which would work fine for the program and could bring a loaner & ammo if somebody needed one.

Last edited:
[cheers] Yes, an excellent reason to get a rifle! Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

I'd be in for a once a month mini-shoot. Weekends are better although some weekdays could work. I'm not a Harvard member but, between this and the new IDPA program there, I'll probably end up joining. I'm fair to middling with a rifle.

Thanks for pursuing this.

Ok, tonight's the night to go make my pitch. If anybody else wants to respond (especially Harvard members who might be able to help me out at the meeting) now's your chance. [smile]

Victory! There's now a Harvard Sportsman's Club Rifleman committee with yours truly as the head chief. We'll have funding for targets and other goodies and there was quite a bit of enthusiasm at the meeting (especially from the Junior Rifle Team coach, who plans to send me his most enthusiastic members). Specific dates to come. It's looking like we can snag Monday evenings on a very consistent basis and the occasional Weekend afternoon.

How's Saturday March 31st ~3pm as a start for the people who responded initially? It will be free, and Fred's Rifleman Guide will be available for purchase for a measly $5.

Will come back with a concrete date and a new post very soon.

This calls for a double banana.
[banana] [banana]

Great news. Saturdays don't work for me, Sundays are much better; but, I should be able to make an occasional Monday evening on the way home from work.

How's Saturday March 31st ~3pm as a start for the people who responded initially? It will be free, and Fred's Rifleman Guide will be available for purchase for a measly $5.

3/31 works for me. Thanks for setting this up.

Yestereday I put in for the 31st for the afternoon clinic, and also the second and fourth Monday of the month (starting March 26th) from 5:30-dusk. I'm waiting to hear back from the head of that range but it'll probably go through. Still not totally official though.

All dates now official.

I also am setting up a web page (should be complete by the end of the week) over at Harvard Riflemen.

Monday Practices
2nd and 4th Mondays of the month (Starting March 26)
5:30 to dusk

Saturday Clinic
March 31st
3pm to dusk

Details below:
-----------------------------------
Monday Practices ware be broken into three parts (Intro, Drills, and Army Qualifying Test (AQT) for Record):
I. Intro:
- Safety/Range briefing

Eight (or Twenty) Shot "Classifier" AQT (no sighters, 2 minute loose time limit for the whole thing)
- 2 (or 5) shots standing (100m simulated)
- 2 (or 5) shots sitting/kneeling (200m simulated)
- 2 (or 5) shots prone (300m simulated)
- 2 (or 5) shots prone (400m simulated)
- Score targets, adjust sights, discuss errors and fixes

Additional sighter group if necessary with some sight click math
Quick talk through the six steps of firing a perfect shot.

II. Drills:
25M Basic Drills (Two or three of the following, different each week, using 1" square targets)
- Focusing in detail on a certain position (including sling use)
- Natural Point of Aim
- Ball and Dummy with partner
- Call the shot with a spotter
- Mag change
- Target change
- Position change
- Rapid fire cadence drills

III. AQT for Record
- "This one's for real" against the 200 (or 210 for QDAQT) out of 250 Rifleman score

AQT (or Quick & Dirty AQT) is pretty much the same as the National Match Course in High Power
- 10 Rounds Slow Fire Standing (100m simulated)
- 10 Rounds Rapid Fire Sitting (200m simulated, two targets one mag change, start standing)
- 10 Rounds Rapid Fire Prone (300m simulated, three targets one mag change, start standing)
- 20 (or 10 for QDAQT) Rounds Slow Fire Prone (400m simulated, four+ targets)
- Targets scored and logged if you want. 200+ on AQT or 210+ on QDAQT = Rifleman,

The QDAQT is the one we'll use most because all of the targets are conveniently on one sheet. Because there are fewer Stage 4 rounds fired due to space on the sheet, the Rifleman score goes up to 210. There are standard time limits but I don't remember them off the top of my head (we're not usually huge sticklers for time during training). I think the slow fires are ~1 minute per shot and the rapid fires are ~5-6 seconds per shot. If you know what the National Match course time limits are, they're roughly the same.

The Saturday afternoon clinic will be much like a practice with an extended educational Intro section. There would be several sighter stages, detailed explanation of each of the six steps of firing the shot, and detailed explanation of each position (with 10 shots in each). The drills would be focused on each stage of the AQT (including mag changes, position changes, shots per target, etc).

Last edited:
Somehow I missed this thread. I too am interested. Crak- somehow I must have seen you Thursday as I was there signing up as a new member.

Which range is this at? I have a bolt action tube fed 22 rifle or an AR15, which would be best to bring? I'm not so good at either but I'd like to do more with the AR15. Thanks.

Bring the AR and at least two mags if you have a choice. If you didn't have a choice, you could have still used the bolt gun and focused on the positions and shooting good shots, but it's a whole lot easier to concentrate on other things if you don't have to manipulate a bolt during a 10 shot string.

Even better, bring both rifles, and an an extra friend to use the bolt gun. [smile] We're going to be on the 25 yard section of the 50 yard range. Once I get a few of these under my belt and the days grow longer, we'll spend some time on the 100 yard range too. And some fine day in the future if there's a core of people qualified for the 200/300 yard range, we'll go shoot over there. But for now, 25 yards.

Welcome to Harvard! [cheers]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom