• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Insane Feral Hog Eradication

Wow. It really is amazing how out of control the hog population is down that way.

Any idea on the guns/caliber they were using for this?

Wow. It really is amazing how out of control the hog population is down that way.

Based on how often it jammed I'd guess some kind of HiPoint. I've wanted to do one of those helicopter hog hunts for a while now.

Also have to wonder if a tannerite / feeder combo might not be more efficient.

MKA Arms 1919 12-Gauge Shotgun with 00 buckshot.

Poster said last year. The hogs caused over $200,000 in damage/lost crops on this property.

Last edited:
Almost feel bad for the little bastards. But then I know they are just basically gigantic rats.

So that was the MK1919 shotgun in action? I was looking at one of those last year but decided it just isn't practical for what I'd be doing with it. And yes, it does seem to jam about as much as you'd think it would huh?

Based on how often it jammed I'd guess some kind of HiPoint. I've wanted to do one of those helicopter hog hunts for a while now.

Also have to wonder if a tannerite / feeder combo might not be more efficient.

I remember a video of it before.

[video]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1319485/Feral-hogs-hunted-blow-tannerite.html[/video]

Are they actually any good to eat?

From what I've heard, they're not. Which creates another problem. Too many hunters just drop them and leave them which draws in other predators/carrion animals.

Friend of mine did a hunt on private property out in West Texas last year. Rancher had all the gear for them. They were using Suppressed ARs in .300Blackout with IR designators and NVGs. Friend thought it was overkill till the herd came out of tree line. Lead pig was 350+ lbs, total number was upwards of 40 hogs. Huntmaster called "Laser your hog" and then "Light them up." 20 shooters dropped 30 pigs. The lead pig charged the firing line. they weren't sure how many times it was hit before it fell. The shitty part was collecting the carcasses for mass burial.

Aloha

Feral Hog "problem"

That guy looked to be enjoying himself way too much for it to be a called a problem. Definitely named the video right. The local coyote population thanks him im certain.

From what I've heard, they're not. Which creates another problem. Too many hunters just drop them and leave them which draws in other predators/carrion animals.

Friend of mine did a hunt on private property out in West Texas last year. Rancher had all the gear for them. They were using Suppressed ARs in .300Blackout with IR designators and NVGs. Friend thought it was overkill till the herd came out of tree line. Lead pig was 350+ lbs, total number was upwards of 40 hogs. Huntmaster called "Laser your hog" and then "Light them up." 20 shooters dropped 30 pigs. The lead pig charged the firing line. they weren't sure how many times it was hit before it fell. The shitty part was collecting the carcasses for mass burial.

Aloha

I will have to disagree on the meat part. I have killed dozens of feral hogs in CA when I lived there, never had a bad one, ever! I have shot them from 30 pounds to close to 300#. The best eaters are in the 100-150 pound range, a wet sow being the best (IMO). Sure a 300+# boar is likely a little touch and rank but have you eaten an 8 year old 200+# deer, it doesn't eat like a yearling either. You just end up with more sausage and less steaks/roasts out of the old big ones. My wife still to this day misses the wild pork from CA, nothing bought at the store comes close to it for flavor IMO!

I will agree with you they can be a bitch to kill if you don't hit them right. Like any animal though, blow out the heart or deflate the lungs and they go down quickly.

Aloha

Actually they are. But, to be processed into food for sale they need to be captured alive and brought in for slaughter. The small ones taste better.

That is some crazy extermination. I can't believe how many pigs were in that one area!

I have to add this video. More on the hunting side of killing pigs, very impressive shooting:
[video=youtube_share;KnvsQgHXGUs]http://youtu.be/KnvsQgHXGUs[/video]

Actually they are. But, to be processed into food for sale they need to be captured alive and brought in for slaughter. The small ones taste better.

Could donate it into the WIC program. Free cheese, free flour, free milk.now Pig.

- - - Updated - - -

That is some crazy extermination. I can't believe how many pigs were in that one area!

I have to add this video. More on the hunting side of killing pigs, very impressive shooting:

Mini gun on and Apache or given the name and A10 Warthog. Be like making hash out of pig instead of beef.

These things can destroy crops like nobody's business. I worked with a guy who grew up on a farm in California and he said they were constantly shooting dozens of them and just burying them in pits. He said he hated doing it because they were full of ticks and fleas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

These things can destroy crops like nobody's business. I worked with a guy who grew up on a farm in California and he said they were constantly shooting dozens of them and just burying them in pits. He said he hated doing it because they were full of ticks and fleas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maybe that why the Lettuce croups are being contaminated...Big crap is fine but not so sure of pig guts....

I recall seeing those fat things on the Grafenwoehr Training Area in the 80's.
They hung around the trash dumpsters and guys would feed them snacks out on the ranges....
Damn things couldn't speak a bit of English.

I will have to disagree on the meat part. I have killed dozens of feral hogs in CA when I lived there, never had a bad one, ever! I have shot them from 30 pounds to close to 300#. The best eaters are in the 100-150 pound range, a wet sow being the best (IMO). Sure a 300+# boar is likely a little touch and rank but have you eaten an 8 year old 200+# deer, it doesn't eat like a yearling either. You just end up with more sausage and less steaks/roasts out of the old big ones. My wife still to this day misses the wild pork from CA, nothing bought at the store comes close to it for flavor IMO!

I will agree with you they can be a bitch to kill if you don't hit them right. Like any animal though, blow out the heart or deflate the lungs and they go down quickly.

I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. So take it for what it's worth.
My understanding is that the ones in Texas are off-shoots of Russian wild boar from centuries ago. They've ended up tough and not particularly edible. The ones in Southern Arizona when we lived there were smaller and not as tough, but still not tasty. The Hawaiian ones were tasty when cooked right.
Aloha

I remember a video of it before.

[video]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1319485/Feral-hogs-hunted-blow-tannerite.html[/video]
UK article says that there are 2.6 million swine in Texas... the largest US population. No question in my mind that there are more than 2.6 million swine in CA.

Back
Top Bottom