"inheriting" guns when not in the will

milktree

NES Member
I know this sounds like I'm trying to hide something, but it's the truth:

A friend's co-worker's father recently died, leaving a safe full of guns. The co-worker is not at all interested in guns (doesn't like them, scared of them, whatever) and wants them gone. The co-worker would be happy to give them away to me. How does that work? The co-worker doesn't have an LTC, so can't transfer them directly. I'm not in the will, so I can't inherit them.

How's the best/easiest way to deal with this?

I could transfer them to an FFL who could do paperwork, but what other paperwork/documentation would the FFL need? Would the FFL need to pick up the guns?

I haven't seen the collection or even a list of what's in it, and it's not a done deal, but it'd be really nice to know the process before it becomes urgent.

A friend just went thru this.

We researched everything and the proper way to do this (assuming deceased was a MA resident) is with the person who legally inherited them going with you to an FFL, with the guns. The guns get transfered to the FFL's books and then transferred to you. Some FFLs will work with you so that they only charge $25/gun or so.

I know this sounds like I'm trying to hide something, but it's the truth:

A friend's co-worker's father recently died, leaving a safe full of guns. The co-worker is not at all interested in guns (doesn't like them, scared of them, whatever) and wants them gone. The co-worker would be happy to give them away to me. How does that work? The co-worker doesn't have an LTC, so can't transfer them directly. I'm not in the will, so I can't inherit them.

How's the best/easiest way to deal with this?

I could transfer them to an FFL who could do paperwork, but what other paperwork/documentation would the FFL need? Would the FFL need to pick up the guns?

I haven't seen the collection or even a list of what's in it, and it's not a done deal, but it'd be really nice to know the process before it becomes urgent.

Maker sure you go into this with your eyes wide open. Settling estates can be unbelievably messy....especially when there are other heirs and some of the assets are being 'given' to a non family member.

Be very careful what you may step into...in pursuit of what sounds like an unbelievable offer.

Is your co-worker the executor of the estate? If not they have no right to dispose of anything.

My dad passed away last year and I was his executor. It's not a job I'd do for anyone ever again, and I had a lawyer.

While I didn't have any issues with my brothers, once money comes into play there is a whole lot of hard feelings.

Is your co-worker the executor of the estate? If not they have no right to dispose of anything.

My dad passed away last year and I was his executor. It's not a job I'd do for anyone ever again, and I had a lawyer.

While I didn't have any issues with my brothers, once money comes into play there is a whole lot of hard feelings.

I'm dealing with this right now. I've had to consult a lawyer on my own because of the actions of one of the estate executors.

The executor has a legal obligation to marshal, manage and dispose of assets for the benefit of the estate. The executor has no right to give assets away or dispose of assets of the estate below a reasonable value. Any attempt to do so may be deemed a breach of fiducuary duty. You had first better make sure that this "donation" from the estate won't be challenged by other beneficiaries or heirs.

Funny you should mention that. A client of mine is a very highly regarded estate attorney and he sometimes finds firearms in the possession of his late customers. I didn't have my permit last time this happened, but his people hate handling gun matters and usually give them away to whoever will take them.

Back
Top Bottom