• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If Guns Could Talk

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
This a 1917-1918 vintage Colt 1911. The pistol was issued to a members great grandfather for use in WWI. It saw action in France and was used to kill a German soldier during a scuffle on a train. Over the years the gun had been painted, the "property United States " markings filed off. The good news is they have the original holster, the GI field manual, with hand written notes like" do not take into the front trenches" and a 1932 NY pistol permit which lists the specific pistol. The gun was stripped, all minor repairs were made and the bluing restored to original finish. I hope to get some better shots during a longer photo shoot in the fall.

WWI1911before.jpg

WWI1911.jpg

Enjoy!

Thank you again, Greg! I never met my great grandfather but I'm sure he'd be quite happy. This was the second major project Greg has done for me. You may remember this one as well:

page2.jpg

Last edited:
I got to shoot a 1911 that Greg had worked his magic on last week. After feeling the trigger, I just turned to the owner with a look of awe on my face and asked him who'd done it. [bow] I know where my Sistema is headed when I have some spare cash to have it worked on...

Back
Top Bottom