IDPA Procedural

Palladin

NES Member
Ok, so today I shot at Pelham IDPA. I'm a member, it's always a great group participating & running the show.

I got a Procedural on dropping an empty mag with a round in the chamber during a reload. We even had to get the book out to check after it was called on me.

I can understand being penalized for dropping a mag with rounds in it, but if it's empty, it's not like you're on the street carrying 2 spare mags AND loose rounds in your pocket!

Thoughts?

Joe

I think the idea behind the rule is that the only way you KNOW the mag is empty is if the gun goes to slide lock. If there's still a round in the chamber, you may have miscounted. Also, it puts people with different capacities at and advantage/disadvantage. One capacity gets to do a speed load (drop the empty mag with a round in the chamber), the other has to reload from slide lock or do a RWR, both of which are slower.

I think the idea behind the rule is that the only way you KNOW the mag is empty is if the gun goes to slide lock. If there's still a round in the chamber, you may have miscounted. Also, it puts people with different capacities at and advantage/disadvantage. One capacity gets to do a speed load (drop the empty mag with a round in the chamber), the other has to reload from slide lock or do a RWR, both of which are slower.

I did count, I knew the mag was empty with one in the chamber. BDA.45 ~ 7+1.
Later when I was firing my G23, 10+1 ..I didn't count, did empty the gun, the mag didn't retain the slide, I pulled the trigger..click.

It's a game. Like CrossX says you just need to know the rules. They don't all make sense but action shooting isn't just about shooting... it's mentally challenging as well. I think it adds to the fun is some sadistic way.

More importantly... did you have fun?

I can understand being penalized for dropping a mag with rounds in it, but if it's empty, it's not like you're on the street carrying 2 spare mags AND -loose rounds in your pocket!---Palladin
Don't try and make sense of IDPA's rules, it will only hurt. [grin]

Respectfully,

jkelly

Time to switch to USPSA. You can drop a mag with as many rounds in it as you like. If you want to drop 20 rounds then good for you. No penalties...

Honestly- all games have procedurals. I love both USPSA and IDPA but they both have some peculiarities. USPSA allows you to dump mags as you wish but if you are told to shoot from a box (or not to) you earn a procedural for EACH shot. Shoot thrus don't count in USPSA they do in IDPA- for the better of the worse. USPSA is more freestyle for sure... but each has their own rules. In the summer I hate wearing concealment.... do you think we all wear those silly tactical vests in the summer on the street with our kydex holsters?? Rules are great in they help develop your mental awareness in tricky/stressful situations. Embrace them.

I did count, I knew the mag was empty with one in the chamber. BDA.45 ~ 7+1.
That's exactly what the rule in question is trying to penalize. Why? I dunno.

Like others have said, both USPSA and IDPA have their own stupid rules. You just have to learn to deal with them whichever way you go.

In the summer I hate wearing concealment.... do you think we all wear those silly tactical vests in the summer on the street with our kydex holsters?? .
Some just shoot the match with the exact same setup they wear on the street every day.

I have no concealment vest and no bulky, blockish holster that sticks out off the side.

Try the following:

1 Check your grip to make sure you are not holding the slide lock down.

2 Replace your magazines.

it's not my grip...the orig 13rd mag. which is loaded all the time with 12, is the one that doesn't lock the slide back. it used it by mistake [frown].

I have 5 other 10rd mags

Back
Top Bottom