IC-7100 and fldigi

Grrrr...so I started playing with my IC-7100 with digital mode stuff. Figured, 'how hard can it be?'

Googled around and found a set of instructions from 2013. Followed them and EVENTUALLY got to where I could see the waterfall in fldigi.

The messed up thing is that after I was done, I tried checking into George's Old Timers Net last night. I keyed up and transmitted. The net control said that the station calling was full quiet, but no modulation.

I dicked around with the settings in the radio to try and back out my changes. No go. I ended up having to factory reset the box and reload the config from backup. That all worked.

I then went through the same steps until I got fldigi working again...waterfall worked. Stopped fldigi and tried to xmit. Same shit...no modulation. I backed out each setting one at a time and still nada.

Anyone ever see this before?

I REALLY didn't want to have to bust out the user manual for the radio, but it might just come to that. [crying]

Last edited:
This may be why I like my little QRP rigs. Not much to go wrong.
I have to assume FLDIGI is messing with a whole bunch of settings. My brute force idea is, once you get your rig configured the way you like, upload that configuration to your computer, then after using FLDIGI, download "normal" back into the rig.
My entire digital modes experience is a little tinkering with PSK. One of the experts should be along shortly with a more informed suggestion.

This may be why I like my little QRP rigs. Not much to go wrong.
I have to assume FLDIGI is messing with a whole bunch of settings. My brute force idea is, once you get your rig configured the way you like, upload that configuration to your computer, then after using FLDIGI, download "normal" back into the rig.
My entire digital modes experience is a little tinkering with PSK. One of the experts should be along shortly with a more informed suggestion.

Yeah...that is an option too. It wouldn't be so bad if the cloning process weren't so damn slow. Even with HIGH SPEED set in the RT Systems stuff, it still takes longer than what is acceptable. [sad]

Thanks!

I can help. When you set up the 7100 for digital use, you use USB-D, and drill down into the menu structure to modulate your output via the USB sound card built into the radio. I'll bet that when you go back to voice, you are still on USB-D and not USB (or LSB) and although you are technically transmitting, when set to USB-D the radio is still looking for input from the internal sound card and not from the mic.

Hit the USB-D icon at the top of the screen, turn off the DIGI, and it should revert to plain SSB.

Make sense? This tripped me up as well. There's no better teacher than screwing up a few times, and I've done my share of it. Let me know if this does or doesn't work. I could be available for a call later today if you need it.

I can help. When you set up the 7100 for digital use, you use USB-D, and drill down into the menu structure to modulate your output via the USB sound card built into the radio. I'll bet that when you go back to voice, you are still on USB-D and not USB (or LSB) and although you are technically transmitting, when set to USB-D the radio is still looking for input from the internal sound card and not from the mic.

Hit the USB-D icon at the top of the screen, turn off the DIGI, and it should revert to plain SSB.

Make sense? This tripped me up as well. There's no better teacher than screwing up a few times, and I've done my share of it. Let me know if this does or doesn't work. I could be available for a call later today if you need it.

Yeah, I was up on 2m and at one point, it was FM-D, but I swear I dropped back to FM...but I'll double check when I get home.

Will take you up on the offer if I get stuck again! [grin]

Ok, so it looks like I found the setting that was effing me up. Data OFF mode connector needs to be set from USB back to ACC,MIC and that does the trick.

Silly actually, but whatever.

OH...and I got a QSO on PSK-31!!!! Got a guy down in Cocoa, FL on 20m well after dark.

The band is open tonight...well...at least it was. [grin]

Notwithstanding all of the above...

K7BWH: FLDIGI and Icom IC-7100 Config Setup

M1GEO: Fldigi; Icom IC-7100

If one of your settings differs from these guys,
figure out why.

Otherwise, maybe you'll still be missing a feature,
or will have spotty performance.

Where these two guys use a different value for a setting,
figure out why.

Maybe one is better than the other,
and you'll benefit from it
(immunity from QRM, less splatter, more seamless operation, ...)

73's

Notwithstanding all of the above...

K7BWH: FLDIGI and Icom IC-7100 Config Setup

M1GEO: Fldigi; Icom IC-7100

If one of your settings differs from these guys,
figure out why.

Otherwise, maybe you'll still be missing a feature,
or will have spotty performance.

Where these two guys use a different value for a setting,
figure out why.

Maybe one is better than the other,
and you'll benefit from it
(immunity from QRM, less splatter, more seamless operation, ...)

73's

Yeah, I used the first link you provided but the firmware must have changed between 2013 and now because the values he lists don't exactly exist as listed on my IC-7100. As for the second, I'd seen that one too and didn't get it working there.

I managed to get it working though.

Thanks for the links

Have you tried any of the other digital modes, especially JT 65 and JT 9? If you would like to try a QSO, I'm on most of the time either 20m or 40m. I haven't been on PSK 31 for a while. Might be interesting to see if I can hear you from my lofty perch here in Quincy. WA1TSL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried any of the other digital modes, especially JT 65 and JT 9? If you would like to try a QSO, I'm on most of the time either 20m or 40m. I haven't been on PSK 31 for a while. Might be interesting to see if I can hear you from my lofty perch here in Quincy. WA1TSL.

I must be missing something, but I don't see JT65 in the mode list on my FLDIGI.

I must be missing something, but I don't see JT65 in the mode list on my FLDIGI.

you're not going to, you'll need wsjt (wsjt-x for mac) to run it. It's actually a pretty fun mode, but slow and you need precise clock times as it's based on starting a cycle at the top of the minute. it does well with a lot of QRM and low power. I had a QSO with Madrid Spain using 5w on my wire dipole.

I use WSJT-X on my Mac and the Apple time works perfectly. However, I use a time standard on my Win laptop.

Back
Top Bottom