I need some tips on shooting at the range

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I'm a brand new shooter and have purchased a SW642 for carry and a SW1911 for the range. Since I have a house on Cape Cod I got my permit to shoot at the Barnstable range.(best deal in town, $25.00 per year)
It is all out doors and nothing fancy but the pistol range is set-up for 75 feet. When the range is busy its hard to get up closer and be safe.

So my question is for the 642 subby, how far away from the target should I be shooting? The targets for pistol I bought say 50 feet. From 75' I could not hit the paper at all.

#2 For pratice with my 1911, how far from the target should I be and do I add distance as I get better from that distance?

I love shooting the 1911 and could hit the target but was normally to the right and above center line.

FYI I will be joing a club in the Boston area soon as I know it will be easier to change the target distance on the inside ranges.

Welcome Big D. You should shoot at a distance that allows your shots to be on paper. Increase distance as you become a better shooter. The 642 is very tough to shoot out to 75 feet it's purpose is for close quarters. I'd start at 20 feet with both guns. You will most likely be able to shoot the 1911 further with no problems.

BigD,

The 642 is a close combat gun, not a bullseye gun (I'm guessing you have the NRA 50 Bullseye targets). Start shooting where you can get decent groups and build come confidence. 12-15 feet is fine (so long as you are shooting paper and not a wooden target holder).

Both of those are great guns, but not ones normally suggested for first guns per se. Good luck, and check back in with an update as you progress.

Matt

IMO you are starting off too far out. I did the same when I first started shooting and got frustrated very quickly. I would recommend that you start at 21 feet (7 yards) or even closer. Then, as you get comfortable with your firearms you will be able to extend the distance.

Remember...baby steps.

At first, you'll have a tough time even getting hits on paper at 15 yards with the snubbie. If you can start at 7 yards, so much the better. As you get proficient, keeping all hits on paper at 25 yards and beyond should be no issue.

At first, you'll have a tough time even getting hits on paper at 15 yards with the snubbie. If you can start at 7 yards, so much the better. As you get proficient, keeping all hits on paper at 25 yards and beyond should be no issue.

yeah, that's easy. After you've been at it a while you start using larger paper. [wink]

While you're on the Cape, get in touch with Gary-Round Gun Shooter for some snubbie hints and tactics. You won't regret it.

My 642 is the hardest gun to shoot at long distances... and the most painful to shoot. My 1911 is the easiest gun to shoot well at long distances... and is like butter in my hands.

That being said the advice posted so far is great. Remember- when would you use the 642? I doubt you'd be shooting at anyone more than 25 ft away... 50 tops... otherwise you'd be in big doo doo.

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I'm a brand new shooter and have purchased a SW642 for carry and a SW1911 for the range. Since I have a house on Cape Cod I got my permit to shoot at the Barnstable range.(best deal in town, $25.00 per year)
It is all out doors and nothing fancy but the pistol range is set-up for 75 feet. When the range is busy its hard to get up closer and be safe.

So my question is for the 642 subby, how far away from the target should I be shooting? The targets for pistol I bought say 50 feet. From 75' I could not hit the paper at all.

#2 For pratice with my 1911, how far from the target should I be and do I add distance as I get better from that distance?

I love shooting the 1911 and could hit the target but was normally to the right and above center line.

FYI I will be joing a club in the Boston area soon as I know it will be easier to change the target distance on the inside ranges.

Thanks Jon for the kind words. I can help a little with the 1911 too [wink]

If you want to spend a couple hours on a range on the Cape send me an e mail. (It won't be Barnstable) I have targets, you bring ammo [grin]

Thanks for all the great advice.

Most indoor pistol ranges are 50' max right? So for full size pistols this would be the distance to master?

Same thing these guys said. Bring yourself in closer to the target. When I first got into shooting, I stood 15ft away and worked myself outside of that distance. Now I can shoot 50ft and still get good groups but it does make the range session more strenuous (more focus, holding steady, eye's get sore [smile]) although it gets better with time. have you thought about introducing a .22 to your collection? It will make focusing on basic's especially at greater distances a lot easier.

also, in addition to all of the great advice given here, i would like you give you one piece that i feel is invaluable--

don't be afraid or too proud to ask questions while there.

best of luck and i hope you have a great time!

also, in addition to all of the great advice given here, i would like you give you one piece that i feel is invaluable--

don't be afraid or too proud to ask questions while there.

best of luck and i hope you have a great time!

Thanks trophygrl,

First time to the range was yesterday and I haven't shot a gun in 30 years. The guy next to me was very helpful and really liked my 1911.

Here's a nice way to check fundamentals (trigger control, sight picture, etc): If you can do it safely, set up a target that is only 10 feet away. Try to put every round through the same hole. This helped my pistol shooting a lot.

And usually you will find they want you to shoot their guns....it leads to more experience, great friends, lots of support and fun!![grin]

Funny you said that, this guy that helped me out wanted me to shoot his cowboy style .22

What a differnce from the 38, the gun did not kick at all.

Back
Top Bottom