• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I found a use for those paper straws…..

Steve600

NES Member
I like to experiment with different hand loads for my 1911. I keep a log book with the reloading data and what recoil spring I used to get the gun to function properly. I made a device to measure recoil spring weights. So when I am trying out a new load I bring a bunch of springs close to what I think I will need. I got these straws in VT where they use those useless paper type. I tried writing on the plastic straws with a sharpie, but it never seemed to dry. Not these… It keeps the spring from getting all tangled up, and the color coding was never accurate. I save them in a round can in my range bag. Just a dumb idea I guess.

6B34184A-D4C3-41DC-A197-4BF3153DC76F.jpeg

I want to take a hundred sea turtles, stab them all in the nose with paper straws, and leave their stinking corpses on the lawn of the VT State House. Friggin' things. We're keeping every extra straw we get from fast food places while on vacation and keeping them in the cars so we don't have to use the toilet paper roll straws. Preserving the environment is one thing, being idiots about it is another.

I'm thinking I'm playing checkers with chess players. I just grab guns and make them go bang. 10 different recoil springs???

There is another great 1911 inferiority joke laying there in the open.

90gr-147gr. Puff loads or scorched-earth loads. I've never had to change a recoil spring in any of my pistols to make them function.

Decent use for the useless straws.
That being said, the ONLY time I'm going into different 1911 recoil springs is IF I'm testing out some new loads and want to optimize the gun for them. Otherwise, once I have one that works for what I feed it, I don't change it (until it needs to due to round count/age). I have the springs inside individual sleeve/bags (that they come in). I keep the bag for the one inside the gun too, just in case. Also helps me to remember, exactly, which one is in current use.

I want to take a hundred sea turtles, stab them all in the nose with paper straws, and leave their stinking corpses on the lawn of the VT State House. Friggin' things. We're keeping every extra straw we get from fast food places while on vacation and keeping them in the cars so we don't have to use the toilet paper roll straws. Preserving the environment is one thing, being idiots about it is another.

"I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. I wanted to breathe smoke."

There is another great 1911 inferiority joke laying there in the open.

90gr-147gr. Puff loads or scorched-earth loads. I've never had to change a recoil spring in any of my pistols to make them function.
About 25 years ago, I spent an afternoon with Karl Sokol and he taught me how to set up my goldcup. I have always done it exactly as I was shown. LOL, I even have an assortment of mainsprings!

But…. WTF is a 90-147 gr. ???

Back
Top Bottom