"I forgot." TSA officials have intercepted 5,072 guns this year

Maxrobot

NES Member
“The number one excuse we get when people come through and we detect a firearm in their carry-on bag is that they forgot the firearm is in there,” Dan Velez, a TSA spokesperson, said."

Worst thing, is I can honestly believe the "I forgot" - to a point anyway.

I don't air travel, so when I do travel, I'll throw whatever into one of my duffel bags or backpacks and go do my thing. When I return, I'm not great at emptying the bag for a while. If there's a spare gun in there that I'm not actively looking for, it could be in the bag for a while. If another trip came up, I can see grabbing that bag as mostly packed and top it off with some underwear and socks and call it good.

Because I do in fact have at least two brain cells to knock together, I would for sure check the hell out of a bag for a gun before I go to the airport.

However, I once did find a knife in my backpack that managed to get through several airports. It wasn't big, but big enough I'd have a nice chat if someone saw it. It had somehow gotten into the seam and hid itself nicely at the bottom. Never discovered and I know it went through Bradley, Denver and Chicago (I smoke when I fly, so I go out and back through security). That was an honest forget, but a folding knife if easier to hide from you than a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom