I am official

That is awesome man, I have debated for years on doing so… it just comes down to out of pocket expense to get started and how often I may even end up doing it.
Maybe some day someone will put a little starter kit together for karma and I can win it HAHA

Damn you, mine didn't make this Wednesday's cut. I'm still checking every hour until it shows up.

That is awesome man, I have debated for years on doing so… it just comes down to out of pocket expense to get started and how often I may even end up doing it.
Maybe some day someone will put a little starter kit together for karma and I can win it HAHA

For about $45 you can be up and running, including the $15 license/exam fee. Pick up a Baofeng, download the test pool(s) and you're good to go.

Congrats...

You should have no trouble hitting the W1BIM repeater from your place. There's a nightly net on that repeater at 7:30. I can hit it with my UV-5R from Shrewsbury, and you're closer.

Congrats...

You should have no trouble hitting the W1BIM repeater from your place. There's a nightly net on that repeater at 7:30. I can hit it with my UV-5R from Shrewsbury, and you're closer.

Yup, it is real close to me. I have no trouble hitting it at all.
Did you get a different antenna for the UV-5R

The next 1-day class in Gloucester is on April 19th. Cost is the $15 FCC fee plus $5 for the study book and munchies. See this thread and this one for more details.

Damn you, mine didn't make this Wednesday's cut. I'm still checking every hour until it shows up.

For about $45 you can be up and running, including the $15 license/exam fee. Pick up a Baofeng, download the test pool(s) and you're good to go.

looking into the Baofeng.. thank you.

That is what I have and it seems to work well. If I was working I probably would buy a mobile unit to use as both a mobile and a base but funds are tight right now so I am on the Baofeng for a while.
The baofeng and a mag-mount antenna will work great in the car. Remember that each unit on the S-meter is a 4x increase in signal strength. That means your Baofeng's 5W is less than 2 S-units down from a 50W mobile. The antenna, and having line of sight is far more important than transmit power.

The baofeng and a mag-mount antenna will work great in the car. Remember that each unit on the S-meter is a 4x increase in signal strength. That means your Baofeng's 5W is less than 2 S-units down from a 50W mobile. The antenna, and having line of sight is far more important than transmit power.
Yup, that is what I may do. I just need to come up with a mount of some sort for the radio.

Back
Top Bottom