Hunter safety course needed

JackO

Instructor
I'm looking for a Hunter safety course that will satisfy the requirements to be able to buy a hunting license. I have a lot of shooting experience and am a certified firearms instructor myself. Would like to learn just the required hunting part, not the firearms.

Could anybody please suggest a local instructor / club teaching this class rather sooner than later? I'd like to take the class "yesterday" [smile]

Last edited:
i don't think you can take it w/out the firearms training involved-- that is sort of the point...

they teach you firearms safety in the field

That's not a problem. I just wanted to say, I'd like more emphasis on the hunting safety, I teach firearms safety myself.

Ma**h***, thanks for the link. I did see this. Unfortunately, most if not all of these classes are full already. I though, maybe some instructors teach private classes.

Jack. If you call the masswildlife office they can often put you on the reserve list in case anyone cancels. If you could also find out how to contact the head of the club of the course being taught. They will often let you sit in because there are a few no-shows. I had a family member who showed up the day of the course in Dartmouth and they let her take the class because of how many no shows there were. Signing up to be on their mailing list will help because they tell you of available courses about a week before it's posted online. Dartmouth has a early may course coming up and it's not posted yet but i received their letter. I know you want it ASAP but if that's not an option I hope a few of these other options help.

Ma**h***, thanks for the link. I did see this. Unfortunately, most if not all of these classes are full already. I though, maybe some instructors teach private classes.

Jack,

In order to meet the Mass requirements, I believe they need to teach the EXACT curriculum as laid out to them by the state. I also believe it has to go through the Mass Wildlife for scheduling, etc. They are free courses.

welcome to Massachusetts!. Now bend over!

PS. I just signed up for the one in Georgetown starting April 29. I believe they still have some openings.

hanson rod and gun has courses too-- i would check with them--

i got into theirs the week before it started... i am not really sure where ya are

it sucks to have to take the whole thing, but at least you only have to do it once!

I have found that many will not turn folks away even if the seats are filled.

Call them and ask.

Someone was just by HSC today posting fliers for a Hunter Safety course in Maynard starting March 30. I know the Mass website shows the course as full, but if someone was just putting up advertisement for the same class today, I'd suspect they are still taking new students. Good luck!

That's not a problem. I just wanted to say, I'd like more emphasis on the hunting safety, I teach firearms safety myself.

i took my hunter safety course after i already had an FID, a unrestricted Class A LTC and a C&R FFL. if you know your butt from your elbow, just sit through the firearms portion, keep your head down and your mouth shut when the instructors screw up ( and in my case that was often) and get through it.

Back
Top Bottom