How to get lube off of bullets

I have found some very old cast bullets that are nasty. I think the box was left open so the lube absorbed dust and dirt. I tried throwing a few bullets into the lead furnace but it made an awful mess on my ladle. The stuff didn't burn off like I hoped it would.

Any ideas? I considered putting them on a pan and sticking them in the wife's oven (when she's on one of her shopping trips). I just need a way to get the lube mostly off before melting them down.

I have heard that you can boil them in water and the lube will float to the top. Let the water cool and the lube will harden and can be scooped out easy.
Rusty

I have found some very old cast bullets that are nasty. I think the box was left open so the lube absorbed dust and dirt. I tried throwing a few bullets into the lead furnace but it made an awful mess on my ladle. The stuff didn't burn off like I hoped it would.

Any ideas? I considered putting them on a pan and sticking them in the wife's oven (when she's on one of her shopping trips). I just need a way to get the lube mostly off before melting them down.

Put them in your lead pot with some molten lead alloy. When it starts to smoke, put a match to it and stir like fluxing. Wear a glove!

Won't the crap float to the top to be skimmed off in the pot? Can you scratch it with nail? Turn up furnace temp. and be done with it. Do you have thousands that you need to do, if so I can melt them on my turkey fryer for you. I am in Norwood area.

Thanks for all the replies.

I did try dropping some in the furnace but the stuff wouldn't seem to burn off and instead caked up on my ladle. Made a big mess. I think I will try the boiling pot method as that seems the easiest.

Turkey friers are awesome for melting large quantities of lead. I once melted over 200# in one sitting.

Thanks for all the replies.

I did try dropping some in the furnace but the stuff wouldn't seem to burn off and instead caked up on my ladle. Made a big mess. I think I will try the boiling pot method as that seems the easiest.

Turkey friers are awesome for melting large quantities of lead. I once melted over 200# in one sitting.

If it was me I would throw them in the dutch oven with a bunch of wheel weights when I smelt them into ingots. If you boil them in water let us know how it worked.
Rusty

I boiled them in water and sure enough, it looks like 99% of the lube floated to the top. I let the water cool and then just scooped off the lube.

I will let you know how how much it smokes or whatever when I recast the bullets.

Back
Top Bottom