• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How many mag pouches for USPSA Production?

Hi all,
I have shot a couple of IDPA matches and am having great fun. There I only need 2 mags on my belt for a stage.
I am interested in also checking out a few USPSA matches. I would probably shoot my new G17 in production. I need to purchase some new gear, and was not sure how many mag pouches I would need?

Any input?

Steve

Hi all,
I am interested in also checking out a few USPSA matches. I would probably shoot my new G17 in production. I need to purchase some new gear, and was not sure how many mag pouches I would need?

I've been starting with a mag from my pocket and 4 on my belt. Backups come in handy.

6 is a good number to have. 4 would be the min. I tried a match with 2 mags on my belt and I was loading at odd spots and loading from my pocket, so basically you can not have to many mags

I've shot both IDPA and USPSA. For USPSA, four mags in double mag belt pouches, one in your firearm and one in your pocket. I used a Sig P226.

It sucks following an Unlimited shooter. He just drills everything and may change a mag once!

FrankD

I've shot both IDPA and USPSA. For USPSA, four mags in double mag belt pouches, one in your firearm and one in your pocket. I used a Sig P226.

It sucks following an Unlimited shooter. He just drills everything and may change a mag once!

FrankD

You should come to the dark side...we have cookies [smile]

FrankD

Agreed. I have 4 mag pouches, plus one the the pocket to start the stage. That gives you 50 rounds. I've always been able to reload anywhere I wanted to and still have an extra mag to fumble and drop on the ground.

You should come to the dark side...we have cookies [smile]
Yeah, but then you have to spend a lot of money on a finicky gun that won't run when you want it to, you spend a lot of money on magazines that don't feed, you have to learn to make all kinds of special ammunition in exotic calibers that your gun won't eat. But after two years of effing around you're good to go.

Agreed. I have 4 mag pouches, plus one the the pocket to start the stage. That gives you 50 rounds. I've always been able to reload anywhere I wanted to and still have an extra mag to fumble and drop on the ground.

Yeah, but then you have to spend a lot of money on a finicky gun that won't run when you want it to, you spend a lot of money on magazines that don't feed, you have to learn to make all kinds of special ammunition in exotic calibers that your gun won't eat. But after two years of effing around you're good to go.

and it is worth EVERY, single, moment. Not 2 years, just a few months.

Did I mention the cookies? MMMMMMMMM....coookies.

Huh? I use my G35 in Limited. Nothing fancy for ammo, equipment needed at all. And yeah- they just work!

The Open guns.... good ones just work phenominal. I see some people with the same problems all the time. I suspect they just don't know how to make good reloads. [smile]

As far as mag pouches in production- 4 on the belt and for the start should get you good. You should never need more... unless of course you don't secure them well and they fall out when running. Ask me how I know. [laugh]

Huh? I use my G35 in Limited. Nothing fancy for ammo, equipment needed at all. And yeah- they just work!

The Open guns.... good ones just work phenominal. I see some people with the same problems all the time. I suspect they just don't know how to make good reloads. [smile]

As far as mag pouches in production- 4 on the belt and for the start should get you good. You should never need more... unless of course you don't secure them well and they fall out when running. Ask me how I know. [laugh]

How do you know??[smile]

The Open guns.... good ones just work phenominal. I see some people with the same problems all the time. I suspect they just don't know how to make good reloads.

I have yet to see anyone that hasn't had a malfunction. Doesn't matter what you shoot everyones guns jams at some point. I had a bunch of bad jams during the winter caused by worn out brass.

I have yet to see anyone that hasn't had a malfunction. Doesn't matter what you shoot everyones guns jams at some point. I had a bunch of bad jams during the winter caused by worn out brass.

I think you are agreeing with me wrt to malfunctions due to brass- NOT the gun. Yes, guns do malfunction, but I think most of the time it the reloads or the guns aren't properly set up for the ammo. Some people don't clean their guns either.

I was responding to knuckle Dragger's point... that and that Glocks are cool. [smile]

My finicky new gun has not malfunctioned yet. I have about 2000 through it between USPSA and steel matches... I know, I know, - it's all in due time.

If there is a malfunction it is usually my brain. [rofl]

Last edited:
EVERYTHING mechanical is subject to failure! Bad brass is part of the "system" in shooting, so, it can cause failure too. The total is a messed up stage. Most of the open guys shoot them so they don't have to learn to reload..[smile]
Back to the original question....at least 4 pouches for production. If you have extra belt space, add one or two more. This aint the "other" game, we can drop mags with rounds in them, if it suits us.

This aint the "other" game, we can drop mags with rounds in them, if it suits us.

True- but preventing your mags from accidentally dropping important none the less. The other thing to note is you can have four or more on your belt... but you can feel free to use anything in your pockets as well. I know I'm going to sound like a sissy, but running around with 4+ fully loaded mags gets heavy on your belt... I always worry about things flying everywhere during a good RUN. [laugh]

And don't forget those that fall out of the gun! New gun, 4 mags (60 rounds) should be plenty - cool new oversized mag release button - huh - why do my mags keep falling out???? What - I'm out of mags??? Cool new oversized mag release button - GONE!!!!!! (Did I pay for that?????)

And Dan - it was accidental - I WASN"T pulling them out!!!!!!

Donna

Donna,
I didn't see any video, so, I guess you're going throught the learning curve with the new toy. Get a Wolff extra power mag catch spring, put the button back on.
Shooters at the national used to get a "Competition Mag Catch Spring" in the shooters bag. The thing looked like it came out of a ball point pen. Mags would fall out, just from shooting, no contact was required.

True- but preventing your mags from accidentally dropping important none the less. The other thing to note is you can have four or more on your belt... but you can feel free to use anything in your pockets as well. I know I'm going to sound like a sissy, but running around with 4+ fully loaded mags gets heavy on your belt... I always worry about things flying everywhere during a good RUN. [laugh]

Is that dropping them out of the gun, or mag pouch? If it's the pouch, tighten the screw!

Donna,
I didn't see any video, so, I guess you're going throught the learning curve with the new toy. Get a Wolff extra power mag catch spring, put the button back on.
Shooters at the national used to get a "Competition Mag Catch Spring" in the shooters bag. The thing looked like it came out of a ball point pen. Mags would fall out, just from shooting, no contact was required.

Good thing there was no video! It was not pretty! Yup - definite learning curve. Will get the mag catch spring because I really didn't think I was hitting the mag release.

Is that dropping them out of the gun, or mag pouch? If it's the pouch, tighten the screw!

Pouch- yeah, I keep them snug but I don't trust them. Plus some of the mags feel tighter than others in different slots. It's just a matter of time. [smile]

Pouch- yeah, I keep them snug but I don't trust them. Plus some of the mags feel tighter than others in different slots. It's just a matter of time. [smile]

Dave, I don't think I've ever lost a mag out of a pouch. Even if it got hooked on something. Don't sweat it, just snug the screw.

EVERYTHING mechanical is subject to failure! Bad brass is part of the "system" in shooting, so, it can cause failure too. The total is a messed up stage. Most of the open guys shoot them so they don't have to learn to reload..[smile]
Back to the original question....at least 4 pouches for production. If you have extra belt space, add one or two more. This aint the "other" game, we can drop mags with rounds in them, if it suits us.

Ouch! And now I thought it was becuase chicks dig the huge mags[smile]

Back
Top Bottom